oil spray suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil spray suggestion

Spraying underside of car with used oil today, preparing for winter slush and chemicals, and discovered way to get oil inside at front of rear wheel well is to remove access panel to rear light bulbs. Shove wand of sprayer (I use and old garden sprayer) in there.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Umm, why don't you just use an oil base under coating?
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Ive heard of people using diesel fuel but not oil??
      N3WBI3

Comment

why???????????????

Comment

Road salt does bad things to metal
          N3WBI3

Comment

Dan crop your sig pic down...that thing is huge!
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
              Dan crop your sig pic down...that thing is huge!
              How do I do that? Last time I changed it , it was big, but next day it was small.
              Guess i'll look around in my settings.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Never tried diesel. I change my own oil so have the used oil. I think oil works because it seeps into the seams and can be sprayed into the holes in the box beams, inside the rear axle, and inside the body panels by removing the rubber body plugs I assume they are there for that purpose, ie you get good coverage. Rust comes from the inside so you need to get it in there. I spray inside the hatch and hood as well. Overflow and drips are caught by spreading old newspapers on the garage floor before starting, and kept off the garage wall by leaning plywood up against the far side of the car when spraying. I'm surprised how the oil clings to the body. It's still there next summer. Oil also attracts road dirt so I clean any nuts and bolts with a small wire brush and a rag before removing.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

FLUID FILMŪ is Eureka’s own unique lanolin-based brand of corrosion preventive and lubricant, used worldwide in a multitude of industries and applications.

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
                    Never had any luck with FluidFilm. Supposed to contain lanolin oils but never stayed on for very long on any of the rust proofing jobs I did with it 15 years ago. Krown is professional rust-proofing 'oil' (it's not petroleum-based) and jobber price (I buy it by the case) is $7 a can or $12-15 at a hardware or automotive store. One aerosol can easily does a Festy. Used motor oil has all manner of contaminants in it and is 3rd class stuff for rust proofing because it softens electrical wires, seals, motor mounts and rubber mouldings. Even ATF is superior to motor oil in that regard.

Comment

I agree with Bert and plan to try canola oil next year. Meant to try it this year but forgot. It has to dilute to be thin enough to spray. Before the days of petroleum products it's ancestor, rapeseed oil, was used to lubricate steam powered machinery because it sticks to metal even when it's wet. It's also cheap, under $4 for 3L here, and 2L will do the Festiva. It isn't so good as a lubricant because, like all animal and vegetable oils, it breaks down more quickly than petroleum and loses it's lubricating ability. Yeah, and used motor oil is dirty, messy, and the little bit which drips off the car isn't great for the environment. I only drive the Festiva 2k-3k km a year and change the oil twice so my used oil is actually pretty clean. I also use it to oil bicycles, door hinges, and other things around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by jaketlong11 View Post
                        why???????????????
                        Its common here in the midwest,lot of the Old School Germans do it.
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                        X