Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how the heck do you get trans fluid in these @#$%^& things???!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how the heck do you get trans fluid in these @#$%^& things???!!!!

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????
    Last edited by loknlode; 10-08-2014, 04:41 PM.
    admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Pull the speedo cable out of the trans, put fluid in

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I use a long funnel, like a transmission-fluid funnel, with a piece of clear hose attached to it. so it easily reaches the speedo cable hose. I monitor the fill with a flashlight so it doesn't overflow.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I got this thing from az, its a long plastic tube that you screw the bottle into.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Gotta be done from up above. Tips from previous posts are correct. Length of hose or tubing into the speedo gear hole and a small funnel and much patience because you don't want to overfill.

Comment

If you have trouble getting the Speedo drive out, after removing the 10mm bolt. Try a 15/16 wrench to turn the drive.

Sometimes they can be a booger to get out. Hopefully that helps.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I have a glass graduated cylinder that I use to accurately measure out the exact amount and then just deliver it through a long necked funnel. No need to stop to check or worry about overflow. It is metric.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 10-09-2014, 06:02 AM.

Comment

When I've changed an axle I caught the spill in an oil drian pan and poured it back in. That way I know how much needs to go back in. I'm not sure about having the car level to measure the trans fluid because the front is up on jack stands to get underneath and remove the filler. Like the others I taped a length of hose to the bottom of an oil funnel.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I find it a lot easier from under the car . You can twist and push up on the speedo housing . Then just use the quart container and pour directly in the hole . They normally take 2.5 quarts when m t but the speedo housing is also a dipstick .
                  Tha bolt tab gets broken a lot , usually when installing back in , peeps try and use the bolt to pull it down in . Good luck .
                  New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                    If you have trouble getting the Speedo drive out, after removing the 10mm bolt. Try a 15/16 wrench to turn the drive.

Sometimes they can be a booger to get out. Hopefully that helps.
                    I have a "special tool" to help get the speedo gear out. It just consists of the threaded part of the bottom of the speedo cable, taken from a broken cable at the JY. I just screw it into the speedo gear, and it gives me more to grip to help pull it out, or turn it with a pliers. And yes, I too have broken off the tab where the 10mm nut is, before I started using the tool. I also paint the top of the 10mm nut white, just for better visibility.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

here are pics of the location adding fluid, I was lost when I was looking how to add to

1; the connection where the speedo cable goes in ( not where u add the fluid)
                      2; the speedo cable taken out.
                      3. the speedo component has the gear wheel and a long molded on the shaft two levels. refer to Manuel for level ( I used the Manuel and recheck the fluid in three days)

REFFER TO MANUEL FOR PROPER INSTALL ( ARE CALL DEALER)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by olivertwist; 11-23-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I posted this because it might help other on fluid install I cleaned both shaft and outside case leaks. I pulled out the speedo component and checked the gear wheel for any cracks and where still good,
                        well I added my fluid I used Stock fluid what the book said, to be on the safe side. It was very dirty in the back of the housing I do have a valve cover gasket leak for my next project , but other then that it's running very good for a 230,000 mile car it good ,, it's been form NY to FL currently in Richmond VA I have seen three others that I'm looking to meet and learn the story behind the festive .
                        i

Comment

the story never ends.

Comment

Mr. Twist, I'm just South East of Richmond, you still in the neighborhood?
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yes, I'm still here moving to Richmond. I have been here 1 month I have seen three festive two white ones and one blue one

Comment

Working...
                              X