Sloppy Shifter Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloppy Shifter Fix

I think I posted this some time ago but for those folks who plan to fix their sloppy shifter soon, I'm adding it again.

If you are replacing the boot and/or ball and seal parts, by far the easiest way to do this is to remove the entire assembly, put all the new parts in that you can and then re-install. It is not necessary to remove it to get the job done, but I personally found it easier.

This is a link to pictures that may help.

http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/1990new/slideshow/Festiva%20Shifter%20Repai

Sorry, I know I didn't take enough pictures of how I removed the retaining clip and top spring.
    It's easy to get the spring out but a bit harder to get it back in. I used a flat screw driver and vice grips to get it back in.
    You will have to remove the shifter from it's housing to replace the bottom boot (and the nylon ball and seat if you are replacing
    those also).

For the front stabilizer bushing you will need to remove the center sleeve before you try to take it out, and same with putting
    it back in. Be careful to not let you nut fall into the transmission support when you take the shifter rod off the transmission. The hardest part
    of the entire process is removing and replacing the nut on the bolt that attaches the shifter rod to the transmission without
    dropping it into the transmission support. You may also have to temporarily remove your tail pipe supports.

Last edited by 1990new; 10-08-2014, 08:17 PM.

1990new....Thank you for the tutorial. +1 on removing the tailpipe supports to make room for removal. The nut on the transmission is a tight fit if you have large hands.
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Working...
    X