Valve float!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve float!?

Above 4800 rpms my engine sounds like the valves are floating.

Stock 94 Aspire B3 with 155k miles on it. Been doing it for a while.

Doesn't really sound like a ping. More like the whole dang thing is going to fly apart!

Once doing about 80 in 3rd or so I kept it to the floor for a good while and no increase in speed or rpms.

Not that it bothers me too much, and I won't take the time or expense to replace anything under that valve cover....but do yall think it's floating valves or am I missing something?
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

80 is pretty high rpm's in 3rd. can't remember the rpm's for sure but probably redline or close. pretty rough on the engine either way.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

verify

check your catalyst... unplug it and test drive... check fuel pressure...if it drop a high rpm-load...fuel pump-filter need replacement... also check your timing belt before your piston melt ...check compression

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by ajb999
        80 is pretty high rpm's in 3rd. can't remember the rpm's for sure but probably redline or close. pretty rough on the engine either way.
        It was at about 5000 rpms and just wouldn't budge. Somewhere between 70 and 80 mph.

Compression was pretty high last time I checked it. Over a year ago.

Fuel pump was replaced about 2 years ago...with a used on. Filter was replaced maybe 6 months ago.

I guess if I ever get the ambition I'll actually have to really check a few things. Thanks Yvan.
        www.dantheoilman.com
        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

my car is at redline at 80 in 3rd. I usually shift at 65-70 because the power drops to nill after that.
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

You know, now that I think about it, I bet it might be the fuel pump or something.

When I do a start, cold or warm, the car starts and then immediately dies. I have to rev it to get it to say running.

I thought it might be the fuel cooking off inside the fuel rail like someone else mentioned, but now that it's no longer 100F outside.....
            www.dantheoilman.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

i checked today and mine is also at redline at 80 in 3rd.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

Yeah, than it must have been around 70 mph. It was about a month ago. I was getting onto the interstate and decided to wind her up.

At any rate it was 5000 rpms in 3rd and not moving any higher.
                www.dantheoilman.com
                Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
                X