Wipers issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wipers issues

Ok, this has been bugging me for a while.

But when the wipers are on, they are loud when in operation, like loud clunking sounds whenever they move back to the resting position. Quite frankly it is getting really annoying, plus as you can see in the video, they will rest at the very bottom of the windscreen, they are not supposed to come to a stop that low and they only started doing that recently, but if I am moving at a good speed down the road, they come to a stop where they are supposed to. Also the driver's side arm doesn't travel anywhere near as far as it should, off by about a few inches but I didn't show that.

Ignore the click, that is just the intermittent wiper switch.

1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

easiest check would be to check if the arms are loose on the linkage posts by trying to move them up and down while they're off. if you get more than a few degrees of swing, the serrated hole on the end of the arm might be worn enough that it's barely meshing with the serrated post of the linkage. the nut that holds the arm to the linkage might just be loose if you're lucky. the linkage itself might be worn. there are 2 or 3 plastic bushings in the linkage transmission that could be worn, broke, or missing. you could remove the wiper arms and listen if the same noise is present as the linkage cycles. in the parked position, the wiper blades should rest about an inch above the lower windshield molding. lastly the motor could be on its last leg. fortunately it's easy and cheap to replace.

Comment

Is it easy to replace the whole assembly? Transmission, motor and all?

Because I have a complete wiper assembly on the parts car you see in the video, and has less than 100k miles, while mine has been in use for 320k miles.
      Last edited by TorqueEffect; 10-09-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I had a similar issue with mine a few months ago and it was the big nut at the cowl where the wiper arm goes threw.
        Not sure if thats your problem but any easy and free fix.

Comment

Not sure I follow. You are not talking about the bolt that holds the holds the wiper arms themselves are you?

Comment

Torque, if you remove the wiper arm, under the black cover, there is a nut that holds the shaft assembly in the cowl. Mines worked loose several times in 25 yrs. Also, to remove the wiper assembly, drop the shaft assembly on both sides, remove the nuts/bolts that hold the wiper motor plate (the big black plate on the firewall) in place. Then you can wiggle the complete assembly out arms, motor and all.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

My blades where so sloppy and lose they where useless.the pin that holds the blades where bent rusty and worn so where the holes they went into.I took the blades off cut out the rivet on the arm bought a pair of toyota wipers drilled a hole thru the arm put a small bolt and nut Done works like a champ.

Comment

I replaced my wiper transmission with a brand new one that I bought on the bay.
                Somewhere, I posted the part number for it. There was still an NOS one available in North Carolina. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X