Door locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door locks

So I'm down on coast and load the festiva on the trailer. Go to get out and door hits not letting me open it. No big deal I'll dukes of hazard it out the window. I crawl out and then roll up window. Far as I can reach so I try to open door and it won't open?? I roll window back down and doesn't open from inside either.no doubt linkage came loose. Just don't understand why crawling out window would do that? Plus passenger door was already broken. Hatch crawling sucks lol
    N3WBI3

Are you saying the vertical lock rods don't work or that the horizontal finger pulls don't work? Shoot lots of lubricant into the latches.

Comment

If it's the lock spray liberally with WD-40. If it's the latch you can unscrew the inside handle and try fiddling with the pull rod but may have to remove door panel which I don't know if you can do with the door closed. Have to remove window crank by pulling off wire retainer behind crank which can be done by rubbing with a rag. Then pop plastic retaining pins around edge of fibreboard panel which is where I think you might have trouble getting a screwdriver or pry into the seam. I've had mine off but only with the door wide open. Once it's open a bit at the top you might be able to reach down with stiff wire, eg coathanger, and pull up the latch. Can't remember how it's configured. If someone has a photo or diagram that should help. Good luck.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Here's the pic.

Comment

The door won't open with handle inside or out. Can hear linkage flopping around in door. No doubt come loose from latch.
          N3WBI3

Comment

You will have to remove the inside door handle, window crank, door card and vapor barrier to check and fix the problem.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 10-11-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

You also might be able to get access to the latch mechanism enough to get the door open by removing the outside window seal strip.
              I know its the easiest way to get the door unlocked if you forget like I do and lock your keys in the car.
              If you haven't done it before, it's really easy if you know how. There are either 5 or six clips that hold the trim on the door.
              Best way to trip the little locks that hold them down is with a small thin flat blade screwdriver or a thin piece of stiff plastic that you can get under the rubber.
              I release a couple at the back and pull up from there as I do, then it's easy to get at the others and pull the strip off.
              The little locking clips will break off really easy so make sure they are released before you pull up to hard on the strip.

Your window should be up to give you more room inside the door.
              Last edited by 1990new; 10-11-2014, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X