Oil coming out of where???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil coming out of where???

It's dark and I haven't found a hand mirror yet so I figured I'd post up and ask if anyone knew what this might be.

Got home from work(i walk to work) and jumped in the Festy to go grab some food and hear a squishy seeping sound coming from the engine.

The oil pressure gauge I have wired up is showing ZERO pressure.

Pop the hood, front of the engine is fine but the back is COVERED in fresh oil. Oil is actively SPRAYING out the back. It's all over the steering rack, all over the ground.

It's coming from somewhere around the oil filter, but not the filter itself. Kind of above and to the right by a few inches.

Is there a seal back there that might have gone bad or could it be catastrophic?

Engine has 249,100 miles so I guess it could be time for a rebuild. Kinda feeling like if I have to rebuild I might as well rebuild a 1.6 and swap it up.
    90 Festiva L PLUS ~248K
    98 GMC Safari ~160k
    78 Honda CB125
    61 Lambretta TV175

Originally posted by Brennan O View Post
    It's dark and I haven't found a hand mirror yet so I figured I'd post up and ask if anyone knew what this might be.

Got home from work(i walk to work) and jumped in the Festy to go grab some food and hear a squishy seeping sound coming from the engine.

The oil pressure gauge I have wired up is showing ZERO pressure.

Pop the hood, front of the engine is fine but the back is COVERED in fresh oil. Oil is actively SPRAYING out the back. It's all over the steering rack, all over the ground.

It's coming from somewhere around the oil filter, but not the filter itself. Kind of above and to the right by a few inches.

Is there a seal back there that might have gone bad or could it be catastrophic?

Engine has 249,100 miles so I guess it could be time for a rebuild. Kinda feeling like if I have to rebuild I might as well rebuild a 1.6 and swap it up.
    Sounds like the location of the oil pressure sensor.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Oil leaks are all catastrophic some more than other, LOL!

Before I ran this anothe foot 'd be all over that area checking for where it came from!

Oil pressure sender seems the most likely suspect: they have a habit of cracking or coming uncrimped where they are Swaged together.

Go there first!
      Last edited by heavyMetal; 10-11-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Oh its not getting run until i figure it out.

Cool, that's where I'll start! Thanks much.
        90 Festiva L PLUS ~248K
        98 GMC Safari ~160k
        78 Honda CB125
        61 Lambretta TV175

Comment

The PO installed the oil pressure gauge. He used a plastic line, that line popped out of the fitting. Easily remedied with the proper copper line. Off to the parts store. Thanks for the heads up on what is back there guys!!
          90 Festiva L PLUS ~248K
          98 GMC Safari ~160k
          78 Honda CB125
          61 Lambretta TV175

Comment

Cool, glad it was a simple fix.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I noticed that I have oil dripping from the end of my oil filter....maybe I should check that oil pressure sender!

Comment

Working...
              X