'89 Carbed Festy Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 Carbed Festy Won't Start

I'm new here and I just bought a 89 Festiva.
    She had a fuel leak on the input side of the filter but I swapped out the filter and hoses. I replaced a busted vaccum hose and threw in a new battery and air filter. I drove her around town all day Saturday and Sunday and filled her up with gas. Sunday night, I went out to move her into the garage, but she wouldn't start. I had a new distributor rotor on hand, so I threw it on and cleaned up the connections on the spark plug wires and distributor cap. Still wouldn't start. I pulled and checked the spark plugs. Yellow spark. She'll start for a couple of seconds. With starter fluid, but just long enough to burn all the ether.
    Anyone have any ideas? I'm applying for jobs and have multiple job interviews to get to, so I'm kind of desperate to get her started.
    Attached Files

Please don't be offended by my question, but depending on the fuel filter, there is an input side, and an outlet side. Is the filter installed properly? It's a little bit of a PITA, but have you pulled the fuel line into the carb and then cranked it to see if fuel is moving?

I'm assuming here that it was running fine when you found the leak, correct?

And nice Festie, by the way. Reminds me of Slick, my second one, when I brought him home.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I'm almost impossible to offend, anid I've been away from mechanicing for a WHILE, so I'll probably make a few mistakes. I'll double check the filter to make sure I didn't get it flipped around. I'll pull the fuel line into the carb to make sure it's flowing as well and report back.
      She was running before I fixed the leak, but it was running poorly because off the vacuum leak. Then, after I replaced the filter and hoses she drove really well.
      Thanks, I'm pretty excited about her.

Comment

Please report back, either way. And if it keeps giving you trouble, just box it up and mail it to me.

Comment

Ok, double checked the filter(its's on right). Pulled the hose to the carburator, no fuel when cranked. I flipped up the back seat and took the access panel off to peek at the fuel pump. I saw that the wire was all chewed up. I'm going to spice some new wire in to replace it in the morning(so my roomate doesn't have to hold a light for me). I'll report back in the AM to let you know if that works. If it doesn't work, I'll work on finding a box it will fit into, haha.

Comment

Did you replace all that old fuel hose from filter to fuel pump and pump to carb? The section from filter to pump is famous around here for collapsing from suction, cutting off fuel. If your old hose to the carb ruptures under pressure you'll make that section famous for burning up a really nice car. If not the suction hose or obstruction in the fuel line the fuel pump is probably bad. Don't over-tighten the fuel pump bolts and break the spacer under it - 17 to 22 Lb-ft. Or-r-r-r, if you give me the car you won't even have to go to the trouble of boxing it it up, I'll come get it.
            When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

The short hose that goes from the end of the fuel line into the filter is famous for bending too much and getting a kink in it, shutting off fuel. Check that. Happened to me after I replaced the filter and hoses a year ago. If you have a carb, there won't be a fuel pump in the tank. It's mechanical on the back side of the head on the driver side.
              Last edited by zoe60; 10-17-2014, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
                The short hose that goes from the end of the fuel line into the filter is famous for bending too much and getting a kink in it, shutting off fuel. Check that. Happened to me after I replaced the filter and hoses a year ago. If you have a carb, there won't be a fuel pump in the tank. It's mechanical on the back side of the head on the driver side.
                What Zoe60 said. The thing in your tank is the sending unit. If that goes south the worst thing that will happen is your gas gauge will quit.

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
                  The short hose that goes from the end of the fuel line into the filter is famous for bending too much and getting a kink in it, shutting off fuel. Check that.
                  ^This!

As soon as I hear about a carb Festiva not getting fuel, the short rubber line, from the metal line to the fuel filter, is the first thing that comes to my mind!
                  Last edited by drddan; 10-17-2014, 11:16 AM.
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

" Pulled the hose to the carburator, no fuel when cranked." Kind of depends where the hose was pulled. As mentioned, check the mechanical fuel pump on the back of the engine block. When I replaced mine it cost $37 so should not be an expensive item if it's leaking. Good luck.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sorry I'm late in responding. I got busy helping a friend with an emergency. Thanks for the help, guys! Last night, I replaced the fuel filer and she started up. It was $38 brand new at O'Riellys. Just in time, because I have a job interview tomorrow!
                      Thanks for all the input, Most of what you guys said applied to my car at one point or another. I replaced the short hose on the input side of the filter when I replaced the filter because it did indeed look like it was twisting up/collapsing and leaking. I double checked to make sure the new hose wasn't all bound or pinched up.
                      The day I replaced the filter and drove her around, she died(fortunately at the top of a hill, haha) and would only run when reved up. I had my room-mate hold the pedal down to maintain about 1500 rpm and ran around to loosen the clamp there on the filter hose. Sure enough, she started running really well.
                      I'm probably still going to replace the chewed up wire on the sending unit to see if I can get my gas gauge to work.
                      Side note: She got her name last night while my roommate was helping me check the spark plugs. Beautiful blue spark, but the car turned over and started almost immediately instead of just cranking. It sparked like crazy in the pliers in my roommate's hand and scarred the crap out of her, but being a determined individual, she wouldn't let go. Just kept yelling, "Sparking! Sparking! Sparking!" Meet Sparky, my beautiful Ford Festiva.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all of the input, guys! I put a new fuel pump in and she started right up.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the input, guys! I put a fuel pump in and she started up.
                          Now I'm having another problem, though. She ran for about 2 days, then parked in the garage and wouldn't start in the morning. This time is different, however. She'll turn over and start half-heartedly but then sputter and die after about 1.5 seconds.
                          Anyone have any ideas?! I just got a job and really need this car to be reliable, but she is emotional.

Comment

Working...
                          X