Oh man...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh man...

I had a guy do both of my wheel bearings at different times earlier this year. He first did the drivers side because it was really howling at the time, no problem. I then wanted him do do the passenger side and put on a new rotor and brakes while he was at it. Problem this time. When he went to do the wheel bearing on the passenger side he also thought he was going to do both sides of the brakes (which would make sense) so he tore apart both sides until he realized that I only gave him one set of brakes and rotor. Anyway, I have mentioned in other posts how he screwed up the passenger side bearing and I had to replace it myself and ordered a used knuckle from a junk yard and had the bearings pressed in at a shop. Fast forward to today, I have posted about my drivers side wheel when jacked up can be wiggled back and forth from both the 12 and 6 position and the 9 and 3 position. Thought for sure it was the wheel bearing from all the info and the fact that the guy screwed up my other end. So today I have my pre bought knuckle with bearings already pressed in for me ready to swap out. I go out there ready to loosen the axle nut and THE THING IS SUPER LOOSE!!! What the heck the dink when he put everything back together never torqued down the axle nut. I didn't need any force at all to start spinning the thing. Was wondering why my breaks were shuddering when applying. What a jerk. I have used him on previous things on my other festivas without any problems (that I knew of). I torque the nut down and all seems good now. MAN!
    So I bought the knuckle and had it shipped from a junk yard in Iowa to Michigan, cost $55 which is a good deal really, then I took the knuckle to the shop where they charged me $45 to tear the knuckle down and swap out rotors (which I had) and press on the bearings. Plus the bearings and seals $24. So I'm out $124. Not really out, I have a drivers side knuckle complete with new bearings when I need it. Just mad at the guy I thought was a good mechanic. I guess its true that if you want it done right do it yourself. I'll probably just swap everything out in the spring anyway.

Sorry to read about your bad experience.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sounds like a pain.
      That's why you gotta live by that motto, if you want something done right you got to do it yourself.
      You also get to learn from your experiences which is great.
      I haven't had much luck in the past finding people i could trust to work on my things.
      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Jimdigs, where in the great state of Iowa did you get your parts.
        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

rmoltis says-"That's why you gotta live by that motto, if you want something done right you got to do it yourself.
          You also get to learn from your experiences which is great.
          I haven't had much luck in the past finding people i could trust to work on my things."
          My thought exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
            Jimdigs, where in the great state of Iowa did you get your parts.
            Well, I'm not for sure. I didn't keep the sales receipt they sent with the knuckle. I found the place from this great site for searching for parts in junkyards all over the country...

Partshotlines.com is the internet's only place to find used auto parts and used car parts from auto salvage yards within seconds - no junk yards here.

Comment

i make sure i give my mechanic the case of beer AFTER the work is done.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                i make sure i give my mechanic the case of beer AFTER the work is done.
                Yeah, he musta been drunk or something. :fofd:

Comment

Working...
                X