Inertia Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inertia Switch

As many no start posts appear on this forum, I thought I would post a photo of a potential fuel related problem.

This is the inertia switch located in the rear drivers side hatch under the plastic body panel. Should your vehicle turn over during an accident, the inertia switch will trip and shut off the fuel supply to the engine. This switch can also be tripped inadvertently as well and can be reset by depressing the button on top. Please do not jump out or remove this switch permanently. This little switch can save you and your family from a devastating car fire.

"Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

dale, there were two different types of inertia switches.
    One has two wires, which are hot in and hot out. The other has three wires, one of which goes to ground. In the first case, the fuel pump goes to a separate ground.
    In the second case, the ground is through the inertia switch.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      dale, there were two different types of inertia switches.
      One has two wires, which are hot in and hot out. The other has three wires, one of which goes to ground. In the first case, the fuel pump goes to a separate ground.
      In the second case, the ground is through the inertia switch.
      Thank you Brave....that is good information. I think I see 3 wires on mine.

Comment

I popped my festy on its drivers side last Winter and the switch never triggered.....

Comment

Did you roll it over?

Comment

I chose to install an older two terminal 88/89 inertia switch. Easier re-termination. The way I test my switch is to remove it and give it one flick of the wrist to see if it trips. If not, I would immediately get another one.

Comment

Good to know. Knew what it was, but not how or why it worked. May be I will test mine someday. With a flick of the wrist method, not tipping the car over.
              I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Working...
              X