Torque Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Talk

Hi, I have a UK KIA Pride. The engine and running gear are Mazda 323. The Mazda 323 1989 to 1998 guide quotes "Hub and bearing assembly to rear spindle locknut 130 to 173 lbf ft" I'd be interested to see if the Ford Festiva Haynes Manual quotes the same figure.

Does anyone have the rear hub locknut torque?

It would be really useful to have all the torque settings on this site

ta ra 4 a bit

Are you referring to the rear spindle lock nut that holds in the wheel bearings? If that's the one your talking about the Festiva Factory service manual calls for 18-22 Ft Lbs of torque to seat the bearings. Then to loosen it back up to allow the drum to spin freely
    Paul
    91GL
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Most people do it by feel because you don't tighten them much.
      But if you have to know the EXACT torque specs, here is what the Ford shop manual says (you must follow ALL the steps):
      1. Seat the bearing by tightening the locknut to 18-22 lb-ft
      2. Loosen the nut slightly until is can be turned by hand.
      3. Measure the seal drag, place inch-pound torque wrench onto a lug nut and measure the amount of force required to rotate the brake drum, note the reading when rotation starts.
      4. Add the seal drag to to the required pre-load which is 1.3 to 4.3 lb-in
      Example: if seal drag is 1.9 lb-in
      min - 1.3 + 1.9 = 3.2 lb-in
      max - 4.3 + 1.9 = 6.2 lb-in
      5. Tighten the wheel bearing nut slightly
      6. Place the inch-pound torque wrench on one of the lug nuts and measure the pull required to rotate the brake drum.
      Continue tightening the wheel bearing nut until the specified amount of pre-load is measured with the torque wrench.

Like I said most people do it by feel.
      You could use the method posted by FestYboy:
      the rears are done by feel, spin the wheel while tightening the nut until
      the wheel stops or can't easily be rotated. tighten the nut 1/2 turn, then
      loosen the nut. re-tighten the nut until there's a slight drag on the wheel
      and STOP. you're done, just stake the nut and move to the next wheel.
      this method has worked for me for years without incident on all manner
      of cars.

Jeff
      ~Jeff
      1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
      1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
      2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Working...
      X