MY FESTIVA INTERMITTENTLY STARTING !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY FESTIVA INTERMITTENTLY STARTING !!

so im a pizza delivery guy and i got back from a delivery and i turned the car off and when i came back out about 5min later the car wouldnt start. not only that i had no power to any of the dash or head lights . i did all the usual checks battery terminals, fuseable links , fuses and everything was good when i was about to give up i turned the lights on and they came on so i tried starting the car but it sounded like it tired to turn and everything went off again so i went back and messed with everything and got it to start. when i got home it started two more times then the third time it just clicked and i lost power to everything again. has anyone else have this issue? know how to repair it? this is the first real issue ive had with this car, i havent done any repairs recently to the engine or electrical components. i have a fuel injected auto 91 festiva

Sounds like a bad battery or a bad connection on the ground side.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

well ill test it tomarrow, ive been looking at the battery for awhile and noticed the positive is crodeing rather quickly and i can see a chemical reaction between the cable and the terminal even thou its as tight as possible.

Comment

Clean those terminals first.
        Most mcparts stores check batteries for free also.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Yeah, I would first clean the terminals and then check the cables. Sometimes they will corrode inside where you can't see.
          Rick
          1993 Ford Festiva
          1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
          1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
          2000 Ford E350

Comment

When the battery terminals are clean, put something on them to block air from getting to them and the clamps. I typically use grease, but you can use Vaseline, oil, etc. This prevents corrosion.

Also check the negative wire from the battery to ground, where it connects to the body. Might be corrosion there too.
            Last edited by TominMO; 10-29-2014, 07:40 AM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You can also spray connections with WD-40 to remove moisture (WD = water dispersant).
              I spray it into the keyhole and switches on the steering column for lubrication and cleaning.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
              X