Changing Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Spark Plugs

Last trip to Raleigh I only got 37 MPG, and have been getting some hesitation here and there.

I bought new platinum plugs and changed them today. The old ones started out easily and then got very hard to turn. I backed them out as far as I felt comfortable and squirted penetrating oil around them, then ran them back in, Then out until it got hard, more oil, then in, repeat.

They all came out without aluminum in the threads. I did not see any copper anti seize on the threads so apparently did not put that on 4 - 5 years and 20 - 25,000 miles ago. The new ones got a liberal application and the one hole that was the hardest for the plug to come out, I removed the new plug, carefully cleaned the threads and put new anti seize on and replaced. It went in much easier than the first time.

It pays to use anti seize.

Paul
    Red Rocket 1988 L, 133,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, hit guard rail in snow, RIP, saved everything but body
    Black Rocket 1988 L 207,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, engine, trans, wire harness, radiator from RR
    Red Rocket 2 1988 L 138,XXX miles, 4 sp
    White Rocket 1989 L 128,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC

When I got my used 92 in 95 I changed the plugs. One had rusted through and snapped off in the head with barely any force applied. What a nightmare, had to take the head off. I would recommend that everyone pull their plugs once a year and re-apply antisieze.

Comment

Might as well index the plugs too while you are at it.

Comment

Light coat of oil on threads is all thats recommended
        N3WBI3

Comment

You should be using a spark plug thread chaser to clean up the threads.

Comment

Working...
          X