Mechanical lifter valve train on HLA head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical lifter valve train on HLA head

In this post http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...of-rocker-arms I mentioned problems my mechanic was having. Turns out that the original re-builder gave us a head they put together with whatever parts they had sittin' around. It has mechanically adjustable rockers, and with them ballparked in for clearance, they've quieted down, with only one makin' noise. Anybody foresee problems, in a '90 5-speed car? He says it seems to have a good bit more poop on low speed acceleration and he thinks he can get the last bit of ticking out of the motor by doin' a final adjustment. My only worry is that a Franken-head top end may not hold up as long as the original.
    Thoughts?
    Rob J

I like it!! Why would wear in something simple wear faster than self adjusting hydraulic lifters?? Carbon breaks loose and is in oil. Is mechanical or hydraulic going to react to things in oil ? You pull the valve cover and clean things up occasionally while checking lash..is that bad? Leak prone gasket sealing VC, replaced more often, is that bad?
    You are inspecting valve seals and cleaning carbon from the path oil uses to return to the oil pan..is that bad? you lucky dog!!!

If there is wear like cupped valve stems and grooved rockers use a dial indicator to set play. A feeler gauge will not be accurate.
    Last edited by Movin; 11-06-2014, 11:25 PM.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks, Movin, I'll consider it a blessing that the thing's up and runnin' again.
      Rob J

Comment

Originally posted by bugbor View Post
        Thanks, Movin, I'll consider it a blessing that the thing's up and runnin' again.
        Rob you are a "Man of few Words" glad you got your Festiva running-
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Thanks, nitro. I'm sure there're lots of folks in my life who wish there were times I spoke even less. You get to may age and the filters are pretty much worn out, so I have a tendency to let fly with my opinions. You could ask the guys who sold me the original engine that's givin' me problems and the company that built it.
          BTW, I've looked at the write up you did on the fusible link clean up. That project's comin' up soon for both my '89 and '90. Thanks for puttin' that up.
          Rob J

Comment

^ Hope the write up helps you.
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
            X