ECU Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU Replacement

Just for curiosity sake I was trying to search ECU here to get input on how to replace it. If I search "ecu" "replace ecu" I get no hits. Am I doing something wrong with the search function?

How does one go about changing the ECU?

Richard

Check this thread out & start reading at post #18. I hope it helps.
    Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
    Last edited by muleskinner; 11-07-2014, 08:18 AM.
    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

I think the book says take out the dash board.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
        I think the book says take out the dash board.
        Yessir. This is the easiest way to do this, and know what you're doing. But an ECU swap can be effected without all this extra conniption if you are forearmed with knowledge of how to unbolt and unplug the darn thing without being being able to view it directly. Never done it myself so this is as far as the advice goes. But I have removed the entire dash of a Festy (parts car!) and exposed an ECU enough to know that being able to see it and the fasteners and connections directly makes much more sense than 'flailing around in the dark' when figuring out how to remove one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
          Yessir. This is the easiest way to do this, and know what you're doing. But an ECU swap can be effected without all this extra conniption if you are forearmed with knowledge of how to unbolt and unplug the darn thing without being being able to view it directly. Never done it myself so this is as far as the advice goes. But I have removed the entire dash of a Festy (parts car!) and exposed an ECU enough to know that being able to see it and the fasteners and connections directly makes much more sense than 'flailing around in the dark' when figuring out how to remove one.
          Hmm, I never had problems removing mine and putting another in without taking out the dashboard.
          I was able to work through the speaker hole to undo the 2 bolts holding it in.
          1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
          1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
          1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
          2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
          2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
          2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
          1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Our search function doesn't permit search terms of length three characters or shorter. It prevents overloading, conjunctions, and spam, I'm guessing.
            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

What mike said. 2 bolts, push up, pull down.

Remove the dash, lol... Thread has been bertified!
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Are you sure the book doesn't mean remove just the dash cluster?
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

I've done this several times. Pain in the rump but certainly not necessary to remove the dash. Just vacuum the drivers side footwell and get comfortable. You're head will be slightly depressing the clutch pedal if you're doing it right!

"Undo 2 bolts, push up to release lip out of tab(you'll see it), and pull down" is the correct method. there's a push-in clip at the top that holds it in with pressure, you may have to pull with some decent force
                  Last edited by 200KGPGTP; 11-09-2014, 02:38 AM.
                  Buck.
                  -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                  -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                  -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Working...
                  X