Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak

I noticed today a small puddle of green oil under the front center of my car, maybe about an eighth of a cup or so . It seems to be a slow leak coming from between the two cv axles somewhere. This is the first time it has leaked like this. I think it might be transaxle fluid. I just put in new cv axles about a month ago.

On a side note a sprayed some carb cleaner into it yesterday, but I don't see that really affecting anything.

I haven't had a chance to really crawl under there and take a closer look yet. Any ideas on how I can diagnose this problem and maybe fix it without professional help?

Green could be Antifreeze. Your transaxle fluid should be red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Green isn't oil.

Comment

Does it smell and taste sweet, it's coolant. Just don't swallow what you taste. Then it's poisonous

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
          Does it smell and taste sweet, it's coolant. Just don't swallow what you taste. Then it's poisonous
          I have never cared for the taste of anitfreeze myself. Typically the sweet smell alone lets me know.

It may be a green oil because the antifreeze is running over some other oil leak and the 2 are getting mixed together before it drips on the ground.
          The Festiva Store
          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Could just be the thermostat housing gasket, or the upper radiator hose leaking down onto the transmission making you think the green stuff is coming from the transmission.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

... or the heater hoses.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
              X