How to remove steering column?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove steering column?

I bought an entire steering column from a guy since I needed the ignition switch and he was unsure how to get it off.

Is it easier to replace the entire column or just the ignition switch?

How do I get the steering column out? What do I have to remove in order to get to what I need?

Thanks

The easy way to get the ignition switch out:
    1. Remove the plastic steering column covers
    2. On top of the entire switch mechanism, you will find two screw heads. They are round, and have no slots to get a screwdriver into.
    3. Take a Dremel with a diamond wheel, and cut a notch into one of the screw heads.
    4. This will allow you to remove that screw with a slotted screwdriver.
    5. Once you get it out, you can wiggle the top bracket to loosen the other screw; it will then come out pretty easily with a needle-nose pliers.
    6. There are various electrical connectors to remove. I do most or all of them first, then work on the screw head.

Sometimes I get lucky and can loosen one of the screws with a needle-nose vise grip, but usually not. I always try this first tho. I have a battery-powered Dremel that I can take with me to the JY, as well as a corded one.

Also, note that manual-tranny ignition switches are slightly different from auto-tranny ones. To use the auto-tranny one in a manual, there is a little part that needs to be locked into position, above where the key goes in.
    Last edited by TominMO; 11-18-2014, 11:28 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Part way down this link William describes in pictures his swap of his steering rack.
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...w-build!/page7
      Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
      Icetiva-3-race-car-build
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Working...
      X