Fires then dies instantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fires then dies instantly

Hey everyone. I went to start my Festiva this morning and it fired up right away. When I let off the key it just died isntantly like I had turned the key to off. Didn't bog or anything. When I tried again I held the key for a couple seconds in start and it ran fine until I let off the key again and it died instantly just like before . Anyone have this issue and/or suggestions?

This belongs in repair. You might start by checking the fusible links and engine fuse.
    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
      This belongs in repair.
      Thank you for the help but hitting the report button in the future will work better since it will notify the staff members and we can move the thread

Thread moved
      Last edited by Damkid; 11-23-2014, 04:58 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Sounds like the problem could be related to the fuel pump relay and/or the VAF connection to it.
          The fuel pump is triggered to operate when the switch is in the start position but the trigger for the
          fuel pump to continue operating when the switch is in the on position comes from the VAF which must sense
          air moving through it into the intake manifold to let the fuel pump know that it should continue to run.

Check the plug connecting the wires to the VAF. It could also be a ground wire problem.
          Are you located where road salt is present?

Check this thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...uel+pump+relay

tooldude and others posted lots of good info about how to do the fuel pump test there.
          Last edited by 1990new; 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I agree it sounds just like the VAF is unplugged, or a poor connection as 1990new said

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              I agree it sounds just like the VAF is unplugged, or a poor connection as 1990new said
              X3
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

With an unplugged VAF it will run for about 2 seconds after you let go of the key. At least when my VAF started acting up, that is what it did. Even unplugged it would run for 2 seconds before shutting off.

It sounds like a bad ignition switch.
                Last edited by nonamekid; 11-23-2014, 11:10 PM.
                The Festiva Store
                Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Ignition switches do go bad and it could be the problem. They usually go bad gradually and you get warnings that they are going bad...like intermittent drop in power connection of
                  the electrical components that must have the switch on to operate. For example, turn your wipers on and see if they quit when you return the key from start to on.
                  1992Festiva... have you had any problems like that that seem to come and then go away?
                  Did you perhaps accidentally dump a beverage on the plastic shroud behind the steering wheel recently?
                  We need more info..
                  Last edited by 1990new; 11-23-2014, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1992Festiva View Post
                    Hey everyone. I went to start my Festiva this morning and it fired up right away. When I let off the key it just died isntantly like I had turned the key to off. Didn't bog or anything. When I tried again I held the key for a couple seconds in start and it ran fine until I let off the key again and it died instantly just like before . Anyone have this issue and/or suggestions?
                    Does your car have a Carb or EFI ?
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by 1992Festiva View Post
                      Hey
                      Hey
                      Last edited by drddan; 11-24-2014, 03:46 AM.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

If its a 1992 it would be fuel injected?
                        A quick thing to try is spraying WD-40 or contact cleaner into the ignition keyhole.
                        Put the key in and out and turn it on and off to work it around a bit.
                        The key is turned against a spring to START to engage the starter
                        then springs back to ON for running so the change in position might be causing the problem?
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

VAF
                          -Zack
                          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                            If its a 1992 it would be fuel injected?
                            A quick thing to try is spraying WD-40 or contact cleaner into the ignition keyhole.
                            Put the key in and out and turn it on and off to work it around a bit.
                            The key is turned against a spring to START to engage the starter
                            then springs back to ON for running so the change in position might be causing the problem?
                            Oh missed that my bad-
                            Last edited by nitrofarm; 11-24-2014, 04:33 PM.
                            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

It's efi. It was working fine with no issues when I parked it . Issue started next morning when I tried to start it

Comment

Working...
                              X