Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas pedal hit the floor , throttle body frozen , COLD OUT !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas pedal hit the floor , throttle body frozen , COLD OUT !!

Never had this happen till today..

after a 4 months of sitting and all is well except my throttle body freezes up from cold , shut car off for a minute and it thaws and I am good for a mile or 2 ..

Now what?

you might have to expand your description of the problem a little. so the car starts and idles at least? you shut it off, restart it and can drive a couple miles and then what, does it die? does the accelerator pedal go to the floor and stay there? i'd suspect first the accel cable sticking in its sheath. maybe moisture/corrosion. next check the exterior linkage on the TB for damage, rust, evidence of moisture. did you pressure wash the engine recently? it might be as easy as spraying some water displacing lubricant on the linkage or at worst, having to remove the accel cable to try and free it up or replace altogether.

Comment

Not the cable , the throttle body sticks open and the car revs in neutral so I turn it off pop the hood and in 10 seconds the throttle body that is seized and you can't move by hand warms up and snaps closed and then moves free like normal..

Comment

Sounds like you know what the problem is then

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

WD-40 and maybe gasline antifreeze? I think there's supposed to be enough alcohol
          in gas now the anti-freeze isn't needed?
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Hey go feel the little hose going from your heater hose out up to the throttle body. I bet from a cold start it is not getting hot. Hope you are not so low on coolant that all you have is air up there.

One other thing, if head gasket starts to seep you will get steam from the valve cover vent to the plastic just in front of the throttle body. It will freeze because of the pressure depression past the throttle plate.

I hope your coolant isn't so plugged up nothing can flow , does the heater work good?
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Heat is good ..
              After I saw that coolant runs through the body I will look into the lines better and see if flow is an issue .

Comment

I just put it all back together and no change ..
                Heat is good , lines to TB are warm and nothing is stiff .
                2 minutes on the road and pedal is solid .
                turn it off and wait 1 minute and it pops back.

Comment

Have you looked at the cable itself?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

If your pcv is restricted or plugged you can get moisture from the vent as well. Have you had it stick in a place safe enough to pop the hood and check the cable and look down the air inlet to see if ice is melting out of the TB ?

Comment

Cable is loose when it freezes , I can take the cable off and in that small time the TB unthaws and snaps shut ..
                      I will look at the pcv or take it out and go for a drive .

Comment

Does it only stick when you floor it, or will it just randomly stick in any position?
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Leave the pcv, remove the pcv vent hose, leave it open and tape off the plastic nipple. Probably should check for moisture in the tube between the TB and the VAF and clean that, test drive. See if vent hose spews any water drops on the tube or valve cover.

If you have no air filter installed you could be getting road moisture (snow dust?) all the way through to the TB.

Does the throttle body shaft seem tight in the bore? The symptoms seem odd for that to be a problem but if it is you should see wear on the throttle plate itself on close inspection.

Comment

Take the throttle body apart and put some copper paste anti-seize on the shaft and reassemble; see how it goes....

Comment

Working...
                            X