Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering issues

Hi,
    I have already posted about a rattling while driving 50 mph or faster. After checking wheels, bearings and CV joint I think it is the steering gear box. When I wiggle the left wheel left right you can hear a clicking noise in that gear box, same if you turn the steering wheel left right when the car stands. Is there some adjustment possible or do I have to replace that thing. And if where do I get cheap replacement?
    Thanks for your answers, Wolf
    per ardura ad astra

inner or outer tierod ends or the rack?
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I can't exactly say where it is because I have never before worked on a steering. I thougt that the gears might be worn out, but that is just a guess.
      per ardura ad astra

Comment

Loose tie rod end is pretty easy to see or feel. Can also compare to other side.
        There are rubber boots to inspect for tears. Sometimes they can be pulled back for inspection of what's inside.
        That may mean releasing metal band and some replace metal band with nylon cable tie although I've never hand
        any problem reusing the metal band when regreasing CV joints.
        A garage mechanic can put the car up on a hoist for easier inspection and tell you what he thinks is happening.
        Maybe you could find someone who specializes in front end repair.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Ok, I lift the car tomorrow, remove that rubber and check if I can see or feel what it could be. If I turn the wheel I have some loose way about 10-degrees and at the end you hear that clicking noise. I also figured out that the rims do not exactly fit. They are only centered by the bolts and not by the center ring of the rim and axle. So I will change to original steel rims to see if it makes a difference.
          per ardura ad astra

Comment

Originally posted by neolobo View Post
            Ok, I lift the car tomorrow, remove that rubber and check if I can see or feel what it could be. If I turn the wheel I have some loose way about 10-degrees and at the end you hear that clicking noise. I also figured out that the rims do not exactly fit. They are only centered by the bolts and not by the center ring of the rim and axle. So I will change to original steel rims to see if it makes a difference.
            The bolts will center the wheel by themselves. Otherwise you couldn't install aftermarket wheels, which will never fit snugly on the center ring, since they are designed to fit a wide variety of cars.

Your boots will be torn unless they have been replaced. If you end up replacing the tie rod or the tie rod end, you might as well do the boots then too.

In some cases, stock steelies from another car will have the same bolt pattern but the center hub will be too small. That's the case with my Tercel and Aspire; both are 4x100, but Aspire steelies don't fit the Tercel without a spacer to get it past the center ring, because the Tercel ring is just slightly larger than the Aspire's.
            Last edited by TominMO; 12-12-2014, 05:48 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'm not quite sure if I understand what the boots are? When the Tie rod ends are worn out that is the part of the rod next to the wheel?
              per ardura ad astra

Comment

This video MAY help;

Was experiencing extreme road wander. Thought it was the tie roads, in which I replaced both sides\inner and outer. Still didn't fix the problem. Finally rep...

Going to :28 of the video will show 2 racks, old and new. At the end of the larger tube are accordion looking black rubber pieces. THOSE are the boots being referred to.

Note; The posted video isn't of a Festiva, but should hopefully give you an idea as to what your looking at.

Hope this helps.

EDIT;

Also another video to explain things. Note, still not a Festiva but it may help get a better idea as to what may be going on.

How to check tie rods and how to verify a tie rod end is worn, Learn how to tell if your inner and outer tie rods are good or bad on your car or truck. Good ...
                Last edited by lessersivad; 12-13-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the videos, that was very helpful. I figured out that it is not the steering but the transmission axle. You can move it in and out by one millimeter. So I need to replace something there, maybe the whole thing. Where can I get a new set and how much is it? Right side is worse than left side.
                  Last edited by neolobo; 12-13-2014, 01:37 PM.
                  per ardura ad astra

Comment

Working...
                  X