Help diagnose no start. 90 festiva auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help diagnose no start. 90 festiva auto

I've got the festiva bug this fall and have been wrenching on both my festivas. The 90 l automatic that I bought for parts is in decent shape and had lots of new parts installed prior to me purchasing it. (Gas/brake lines, gas tank, muffler.). I'm motivated to get it on the road for next winter so I can have two drive able festivas.

It always started great and I've been wanting to put it in my garage to work on patching holes in the body. Gave it some fresh gas and a charged battery. Turns over but doesn't want to start. I've been reading the forum using the search to try to figure what my issue is.
    I've checked the interia switch.
    Checked the fuses.
    Tried the fuel pump test although I'm not confident that i did correctly.
    I don't have someone to check for spark when turning over unless there's some other way of testing the plugs.
    Could a corroded ground prevent it from starting?

I also read that turning the vehicle off while in drive it can cause issues. I'm use to diving standard so that could have happened last time it was running. The car has been parked for a few months now since I used in it the summer to haul garden/yard waste to the back of my property.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    90 Festiva L Auto - Parts
    93 Festiva L 5 speed
    93 Festiva LX 5 speed

I just use a jumper wire to check for spark. Place the ignition key in the run position and the car in neutral or park, then take a piece of wire and connect the single flat pin connector that is on the top of the starter to the positive battery terminal. This will cause the car to crank over. You can then check for spark at the plugs.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Usually if its just a random problem like running 1 day and the next it won't start points to the fuel pump. They just die. And nowadays it seems like the fail regularly.
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

I think that it is the fuel pump. I have two spare pumps from the jy. I assume they work. Didn't want to frig around with it incase it was a simpler fix. I took the 4 screws out on the cover of the fuel pump (under seat) What is the secondary hose coming from the gas tank? Everything on this car is brittle. The cold weather doesn't help. Do I need to pinch both hoses are is one for air? Do I need to pinch the hoses at all? Gunna work on it tomorrow.

I took I picture of the cancer. Forgot to get one of the fuel pump.

Took this photo yesterday. Backyard view Lake Erie

93 Festiva L 5 speed
        93 Festiva LX 5 speed

Comment

I believe there is a vapor/vent line and a fuel return line that also connects to the tank. I would not pinch either of those off on a permanent basis. Sorry if I misunderstood you.
          "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
          “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Why don't you just take fuel line off the fuel filter coming from tank and put line in jar and have someone or jump starter and turn motor over. If pump is working, you will get gas into the jar.
            Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
            93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

We are blessed to live beside 1/5 of all the fresh water in the world.

Lots of rust. I would first wire wheel all of the grounds, all over the car with a Dremel. Then test.

I will have to pop in for a visit next summer.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 12-18-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Awesome view!!
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

My car is the twin of your silver grey but mine is '89 carburetted.
                  That body does not appear to be in bad shape for your area.
                  You can pull the coil wire from the distributor and tie it to a strut bolt on the driver's side with a 1/4" gap.
                  Then sit in the driver's seat with the hood raised and turn the engine over with the ignition key.
                  You can see the spark by looking under the gap in the hood. Good luck.
                  Last edited by WmWatt; 12-18-2014, 09:08 PM.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Haven't had time to work on it yet. Gunna be travelling to see family so I won't get a chance to get at it until the new year.

Hopefully it's not snowed in when I get back.

What's the best way to disconnect those hoses on the fuel pump and gas tank? There is very little play and are gunna be a pain in the rear to get off.

Also what are your thoughts on this ...

Should have got a better picture but the seal that encloses the belt cover is all slack.

Is that an easy fix?

You are welcome to come by anytime bravekozak. Keep an eye out for festivas in this province. I want to buy more but I never see them anymore.
                    93 Festiva L 5 speed
                    93 Festiva LX 5 speed

Comment

Snow stopped me from working on the car until now. Was a nice sunny day and got out to the car. Changed the fuel pump which was covered in smutts. The filter fell off. Hooked it all back up with the new pump. New gas and she started right up.

Gotta do some body work, brakes, wheels and might get it on the road. I also need a e brake cable
                      93 Festiva L 5 speed
                      93 Festiva LX 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                      X