Lighter quit working after......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighter quit working after......

...trying a small heater that ran off of the cigar lighter. Checked the fuse and even changed it out for a new one but the lighter will not work again. I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to electrical matters. What may have happened? Wire burn out? I plugged the heater in for about 10 minutes and it worked fine. Went to try it again and nothing worked. The lighter used to work too but now that won't work either. Strange.

The fuse should always blow first before the wire overheats.
    The radio illimination and the power mirrors are on the same circuit. Do they work?
    Did the CIGAR fuse blow?

From passenger cars to special-purpose vehicles: Eberspächer is your partner for OEM and retrofit climate control solutions such as air conditioning systems or heaters.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 01-02-2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      The radio illimination and the power mirrors are on the same circuit. Do they work?
      Did the CIGAR fuse blow?

http://www.espar.com/business-units/...t-heaters.html
      Thats what is strange, I tested the cigar fuse and it was fine but I replaced it with a new one just to be sure. Still don't work. There is some funky wiring going from the previous owner. He has the dash lights hooked up separately so that I have to pull out a knob every time I want the dash lights and tail lights to come on. I don't have power mirrors but the radio still lights up.

Comment

Dash lights and tail lights are both on the same circuit (TAIL fuse).
        They should both come on when you turn on your parking lights with the left stalk.
        Are you saying your parking lights don't come on until you pull a special knob?
        If so, he bypassed the combination switch.
        Does your dimmer switch work?
        Last edited by bravekozak; 01-02-2015, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I did the exact same thing two years ago with one of those heaters. Took me forever to track it down. I ended up with my dash out thinking I'd burned up wiring or something. Turns out there is a fusible link on the back of the lighter socket. Its a small piece of wire (Aluminum?) about 1/2" long. Mine had burned in two. I ended up replacing the link with a piece of aluminum welding wire. It might be easier to just replace the socket if you have another one.
          '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
          '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
          '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
          '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
          '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
          '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
          '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Read the thread on a lighted cigar lighter. They look even better when the lighter is removed.

Comment

Dash lights and tail lights are both on the same circuit (TAIL fuse).
              They should both come on when you turn on your parking lights with the left stalk.
              Are you saying your parking lights don't come on until you pull a special knob?
              If so, he bypassed the combination switch.
              Does your dimmer switch work?
              Correct, I have to pull a special knob for the parking lights and the dash lights to come on. The dimmer switch does nothing.

Comment

Thanks David, sounds like what happened to mine. Saves me a lot of looking around, its appreciated.

Comment

Read the thread on a lighted cigar lighter. They look even better when the lighter is removed.
                  Where is that thread? I can't find it. I typed in "lighted cigar lighter" but just a bunch of random threads.

Comment

Did the CIGAR fuse blow?

http://www.espar.com/business-units/...t-heaters.html
                    Hi I have the same issue but i swapped fuses and cigar lighter switch and still no luck what else can it be i checked all the fuse and none are blown i have an L type so no power windows nore power mirrors
                    Last edited by dgamez414; 04-14-2016, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dgamez414 View Post
                      Hi I have the same issue but i swapped fuses and cigar lighter switch and still no luck what else can it be i checked all the fuse and none are blown i have an L type so no power windows nore power mirrors
                      Do you have power on both sides of the fuse? If yes Do you have power on the wire coming into the cig lighter? If yes you have 2 bad ciggerete lighters, if no power on that wire then the wire is bad between the fuse and the lighter. Run a new one.

Comment

Yea i bought a circuit tester and both where bad now all is well wire look like a soldering wire

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
                          Where is that thread? I can't find it. I typed in "lighted cigar lighter" but just a bunch of random threads.

Thread 25935

Comment

Working...
                          X