Timing mark on Crank Shaft gear??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing mark on Crank Shaft gear??

Well, this is kinda a continuation of the Lord of Hesitation. Figured out i might not have a blown head gasket after all, I think after i put the water pump on, i put a timing belt on it and i think it is one tooth off ops: . I know this makes them run like poopy :shock: and i am trying to figure out if it is off or not. There is 2 marks on the top gear (camshaft) but there arnt any marks on the crankshaft except 2 little holes. My question is how to figure out if both the gears are in the correct position. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, any info by tomarrow will be greatly GREATLY appreciated. :wink:
    Thanks again
    RJV

Comment

Wow, half an hour, that must be a record or something Thanks so very much. Now help me dance in the closed thread -\--<
      Thanks RJV

Comment

When the engine is Top Dead Center on the compression stroke the rotor on the distributor must point to the spark plug on the #1 cylinder. A handy visual check.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

hotrodders move their camshafts back and forth to change the rpm peaks of torque and hp. one tooth should not have caused too much change from the cam timing, but it could have changed the ignition timing enough to cause some trouble. you might to check the ignition timing before you fight to re-install the timing belt.
          91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
          93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
          1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
          1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

Having the timing belt one tooth off on a car like ours is more than enough to make it run like a turd. Don't ask me how I know :roll: And installing a timing belt wrong on our cars is a lot different than degreeing a cam in a V8
            Paul
            91GL
            Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Ya...um.. turns out my timing was waaaay off.. by 2 teeth But just so others know when they are doing this, when you are looking for a mark on the camshaft, be REALLY carefull what you are looking for. Mine had a mark like someone had hit it with a punch and that is what i timed it on. THe wierd part is it ran *alright*. Then, around 10 miles down the road (aka in the middle of nowwhere) the car STOPS! I can turn it over but no firing at all. I get it home and in the shop and start tearing it apart and i notice the piston isnt exactly at tdc when the marks showed it should be. Then i look at the camshaft gear and there is a small round plate welded to the backside of it with a huge gouge of a mark to show where the timing should be set.....4 teeth away from where i was Now i did compression tests and pistons 1 and 3 were rly low. Took the head off and piston 3 has a 1 inch piece broke right off. Now I have to buy a piston, and 3 valves.. all because of my lack of knowledge. Well, my loss is hopefully your gain.

Comment

the festiva B3 engine is a non-interference engine

which means if the timing belt broke, the valves wouldn't hit the pistons

but that does not apply to mod-ed or extremely milled engines or at really high rates of speed

so how did your piston hit your valves?

Comment

lmao.. thats what my dad said (ford mechanic). idk if you can picture the top of the piston, but the depression where the intake valve *should* go in the rare case it was off has several marks on the right (if your standing at the front of the car looking in the engine), this is where the valve was hitting.. it is the only thing that makes sense. Otherwise what would make my piston break at that spot. Im gonna see if i can find a pic so i can show you.
                  RJV
                  Edit.. when the timing was the 4 teeth off, we checked the pressure and it was around 200psi.. maybe that is kinda what did it.. bending the valves or something.

Comment

Working...
                  X