Gauge sender.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge sender.

I need a little help here, I just replaced the engine in my 90 Festy with a rebuilt motor out of an 88. everything switched over (intake, exhaust, AC etc...) except the temp gauge sender will not fit in the head, there is a plug there but the thread size is different. Is there a different sender on the 88 head than the 90? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Scott

IIRC the unit in the head is the fan switch and it is pipe thread. Gauge sending unit is in the thermostat housing.
    "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
    "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
    "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
    "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
    "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
    "Wenona"-89L parts car
    "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

jawa jim,The sender in my t-stat housing is for the fan, (when I unplug it the fan comes on) and my temp gauge does not work.

Comment

Moved to the proper section

Sounds strange that the threads would be different, are you sure they're not damaged?

Or just splice the connector over as an easy fix

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
          IIRC the unit in the head is the fan switch and it is pipe thread. Gauge sending unit is in the thermostat housing.
          Yup as stated, you got it backwards

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thanks for straightening me out, then, guys. Guess I didn't RC, not the first time and probably not the last. At least y'all got him straight.
            "Wenona"-89L parts car

Comment

All good buddy lol

Comment

Threads are good as the bolt (plug) screws in fine. The sender is to big for the hole. I have a buddy with an 88 I sold him a few years ago, I am going over to check his out and see if it is a different size sender than the one from the 90.

Comment

I guess karma is in play. I took my daughters car to the store last night and noticed the temp gauge not working. I least I know what wire to wiggle, when it warms up a little more. I did notice on Rockauto last night that the gauge senders listed do not all say the same years when the part numbers are clicked. Some say 88-92, some 89-93, some generic Ford 88-96. One on the 88 listing says 88-89. I know that not all parts from my 89 work for my 92, but mostly non-engine, interior stuff, so I'll leave that for for the more knowledgeable here.
                  "Wenona"-89L parts car

Comment

Hardware stores often have bolt guages mounted to the shelf. Maybe you could take your senosrs to one and see what they fit. They actually have nuts welded on so you can try screwing bolts, or in your case senors, in different guages and threads.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                    X