New here, just got a 97 aspire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, just got a 97 aspire.

I acquired a free 97 aspire from my buddy who has had it garaged for 3 years due to a starting issue, and steering issue.

Fuel pump, wheel bearing, and alignment later, it runs pretty good. He didnt take care of it, oil was black as a diesel engine. I wanted to, however, change the 5 speed tranny oil. I called Ford, and they said the manual tranny on a 97 aspire calls for Mercon. Im pretty sure its ATF+3, and i would love if someone can confirm that for me.

I also found the drain plug on the trans, but cannot find the fill plug (although i didnt look ALL that hard). Where is it in relation to the drain plug? Back of trans, side of trans? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    -kirko

I may have answered my own questions after browsing the forum:

ATF Fluid

and

Fill in the speedo hole after removing speedo gear, using the gear line as a gauge for fluid level, correct?

Comment

You got it. The autos and manuals use the same fluids. And yes the speedo gear once the cable and gear are removed serves as the tranny fluid dipstick
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I have a gallon of Mopar ATF 3 in my garage, will that work??

Comment

Originally posted by kirko
          I have a gallon of Mopar ATF 3 in my garage, will that work??
          i don't see why not, it is ATF after all and its not like it (the manual trans) needs any of the special agents chrysler puts in it to run, who knows it might even help.

unless it makes too much noise and its harder to shift, then change it back to dexron/mercon ATF

Comment

Working...
          X