oil under timing belt cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil under timing belt cover

So I've been planning on doing my timing belt for a while and i'm wondering #1 which seal is most suspected of leaking? I'm assuming its the cam seal but could it be the outer seal on the oil pump.

#2 should I do the oil pump while i'm in there? i'm not super excited about taking the oil pan off too. Cars a 93 with 178 thousand miles. Thanks in advance!

Camshaft seal. Shouldn't have to mess with the oil pan gasket. Do not do the oil pump without a very good reason to do so. Unnecessary hassle.

Might have to do the crankshaft seal (same part # as the camshaft seal).
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Cool I got the kit off rock auto that comes with both seals. Thanks for the input again
      Last edited by 2jzkilla; 01-30-2015, 10:43 PM.

Comment

You will need to loosen the top motor mount bolts on the passenger side to let the engine drop down enough for easy access to remove to pulleys and replace the crank seal.
        Tom gave you good advise on the oil pump and bottom pan. I went that route one time and then wished I had not.
        Not worth the hassle if your oil is pumping OK and no leaking around bottom pan seal.

Comment

I can remove the pulley on my '89 by putting a pry bar in the top motor mount and giving it a push, once the pulley is free and just sitting there. It shifts the block enough for the pulley to drop out. Reinstalling is same thing - put the pulley in place, shift block, and pulley drops back in. Good luck.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            Camshaft seal. Shouldn't have to mess with the oil pan gasket. Do not do the oil pump without a very good reason to do so. Unnecessary hassle.

Might have to do the crankshaft seal (same part # as the camshaft seal).
            Is the crankshaft seal the same as the cam on large snout cranks also?

Comment

Good question! And I can't remember!?!
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                Is the crankshaft seal the same as the cam on large snout cranks also?
                I'm finding discrepancies at Rock Auto, based on brand. Looked at 92 and 93 Festiva listings. The camshaft seal will be the same for all years of course, but not necessarily the crankshaft seal.

Looking at the listings for 1993 Festivas, Timken lists the same seal for 88 - 93. National lists one for the 93 only.
                Looking at 1992 listings, National has one for cars made up to 1/31/92, and another one for cars made from 2/01/92 on. Oddly, this is NOT the same part # as for 93!

The Timken part # is the same as the National 1988 - early 92 one. I am inclined to trust National on this issue. I believe they have the same parent company anyway. Probably the same product in different boxes.
                Last edited by TominMO; 03-09-2017, 06:42 PM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I replaced all the oil seals on my '93 last june. I am quite sure the cam and crank seals were different. Dont have the part numbers here though. But why not order both? Their like $2 each right?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X