Overfilled my oil on '90 festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overfilled my oil on '90 festiva

So... Kind of embarrassed... I drained the transmission fluid thinking it was the oil (when it came out, it LOOKED like bad oil! Only a quart or so came out) and overfilled it. I ran it for a couple miles that way (without tranny fluid) and of course, started to act funny...
    So I finally figured it out, put tranny fluid in and correct amount of oil.
    And OH MY it runs soooo much better than it has in years. The correct amount of tranny fluid really helped with vibration and noise level.

Only thing going on now is it idles rough and surges a little. It will stay idling, but sometimes when starting up or stopping at a stop light, it will idle too low and die.
    I've read a little on here, and it sounds like i may have damaged the cat.
    My question is how would I go about fixing my screw up?

I just replaced plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. And that elbow plug that goes from the intake to the top of the motor (it sounded like a vacuum leak, new one fit tight, it was oily all up in there too)

Thanks so much for reading, I feel pretty stupid for doing what I did
    1990 L 5-speed blue Festy
    -Mike

Did you have oil in the air filter box? Maybe slowing down the vane?
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

It has oil right up to the filter, but didn't touch the filter itself. Not sure what to do. Do I need to take some things apart and clean them? Pardon my ignorance, but what's the vane?
      -Mike

Comment

Oh cool, I found a link that explains how to clean it. Thanks I'll update after it's back together

Last edited by fliermike_12; 03-02-2015, 02:36 PM.
        -Mike

Comment

The vane seems fine and not stuck. Sprayed some starting fluid all up in it to get somewhat clean. I'm guessing there's not much I can do 'cept let it run it's course.
          -Mike

Comment

Have you checked tune specs ?
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
            X