Replacing Radiator Core Support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Radiator Core Support?

OK, so i took everything off and i need to replace at least the core support... but how?
    it seems to be spot-welded on? i was reallly hopeing for bolts. any way i can replace it w/o welding? if its welded on how can i get one from the JY? theres one right now on e-bay for $1, + $64 S&H... lol. thats more than i'd like to pay but if i have to i guess $65 isn't *taht* bad.
    Any help on how i should replace this would be much apreciated
    i guess i should mention that we only have an ancient stick-welder and i've never used it.

thanks,
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

you could try pop riveting it on but it won't be very strong

welding it on is the only real way to go.

and i'll check my parts source for a support, if you don't mind a little drive to rockville,md

Comment

Yeah sorry to say your going to have to either drill or grind out the spot welds that are there to get it off. To install the new one there are alternatives to welding it but nothing that would be as strong. Make sure nothing behind the core support got damaged and that every things relatively straight before deciding to replace the core support. Otherwise you might never get the new one lined up correctly.
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

You will be able to see in some spots where it is spot welded. Best way is to drill out the weld. They sell special spot weld removal bits for this or you can just center punch it and then drill it out. There will be plenty of welds to remove. Keep removing them then pry it a bit then find the next one and so one. You may have to grind some paint to find the welds. Then put the new one on and weld in the same spots. You may need to drill some holes in the new support to ensure you get penetration.

Here is a mustang cowl repair:

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Working...
        X