Mileage seems really low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage seems really low

Hello out there. I am concerned , but maybe for no reason.
    I have a 91 Festy that gets 40mpg or better normally. It is a 5 speed and has about 140,000 on it. The clutch slips some so I think that it would get better when I change it.
    I just picked up an 88 with an automatic. It has about 160,000 on it but it runs like a top. I think even better than my 91. It is only getting a little over 30mpg. I knew not to expect as much as my 5 speed but I did not think it would be that low.
    Like I said it really runs great...plus I just replaced the exhaust with 2" all the way back to bumper with just 2 cherry bomb mufflers on it ( have the same on my 91 ).
    Am I crazy or should it be getting better then that? If so does anyone have any suggestions where to look for the problem? Thanks!
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

not much better than that

my '91 auto got aroung 30 - 37 mpg

only suggestion would be a complete tune up with all of the filters and check your timing

and maybe have a peek at your timing belt in the process

Comment

how do the clutches in there cars hold up? This is the first aspire i have ever driven, and i think my clutch is good, as i can bark them from a stop with little effort.

Comment

Originally posted by kirko
        how do the clutches in there cars hold up? This is the first aspire i have ever driven, and i think my clutch is good, as i can bark them from a stop with little effort.
        Clutches on these cars are tough and often last 200,000+ miles.
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

my clutch has lasted 331K miles. it isn't even slipping. to the mileage issue, where did you get a 88 automatic? did they make them auto in 88? and i wouldn't think that just because its a auto would make that much difference. mine is a 4 spd, and i still get 42-45. maybe change the fuel filter.
          89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
          92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
          New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Working...
          X