spits under scceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spits under scceleration

ok so I just rebuilt a carb for my 89.... maybe I missed something, unlikely but possible. a lot of little spaces that are hard to get to. while under normal accel it spits and tries if not gased quickly to die. IE. when leaving a traffic light it will shut off upon accel... if you dog the snot out of her she takes off like a scoulded dog. just got a new timing light and checked timing it seems right... but its been a long time so don't remember all the proceedures with the vac advance. any help would be great. all jets seem to be squirting great

if it is the original carb, then you need to plug both dist vacuum lines and set the timing at TDC/0 degrees. Make sure the vacuum diaphragms are ok and not leaking vacuum.
    Was it ok before you rebuild the carb?

Comment

I cleaned and slapped the old carb back on and I must have missed something cause it runs much smoother now. but the timing belt must be off cause it will not run any where near the timing marks.

Comment

There's a acceleration jet. I don't know much about carbs but I've seen it in the Haynes manual. I think you can see it around the back of the carburettor. When I clean my carb I spray carb cleaner on all the exterior linkages as well as inside. I think the jet is activated by the accelorator linkage so spraying outside might do the trick. Easy thing to try. Otherwise if the carb was not sealed when put back on it might be sucking air around the base or something. You could try misting the engine while pulling on the accelorator linkage to rev the engine while idling and see if that has any effect. Oh, also re-check the connections of any hoses removed to take the carb off and make sure they are back on tight. Hope that helps.
        Last edited by WmWatt; 04-05-2015, 09:37 AM.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
        X