No announcement yet.

HELP!! I need to know if JB weld or the like can hold together a thermo housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! I need to know if JB weld or the like can hold together a thermo housing

Or is there another thermo housing other than a festiva that I may be able to buy

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
      Why?
      Logic would say his old one broke and he needs to fix it.....

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Logic would then say go to junkyard......unless he is on the side of road and needing a band aid to get home.
        Or shall I make you look like a tool again and have you ban me for another week?

Comment

Lmao you can try

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by 350freak View Post
            Or is there another thermo housing other than a festiva that I may be able to buy
            JB Weld is pretty good stuff. I'd say give it a try. Worst case scenario...you wind up with still having a broken housing. I don't know if they are still there, but there were two in a junkyard near me, if you need one after trying, or just want one, let me know and I'll go check and see if I can get one of them Shoot me a PM and let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
              Logic would then say go to junkyard......unless he is on the side of road and needing a band aid to get home.
              Or shall I make you look like a tool again and have you ban me for another week?
              Grow up.

Comment

Productive thread...

I have doubts about the jb holding, do your testing close to home and be very careful not to over heat.

I'd like to find out if an actual weld would hold.

Sent from somewhere outside the asylum via tapatalk
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I BELIEVE the Aspire has the same thermo housing. It's been a while, but I remember looking at an Aspire and thinking it was the same. JB Weld can work if the break consists of a large part of the housing, and not just one of the mounting ears. I've broken two in my Festiva life - one on the mounting ear where it was impossible to fix; one pretty much cracked in half, and JB Weld did the trick for a few weeks until I found another.

I swear, someone needs to make a mold of a thermo housing, make it out of pure steel, and put it up for sale. That plastic-like aluminum or whatever they used for the thermo housing is a joke. Not to mention the angle you need to be to put a thermostat in...
                  White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                  White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                  1988 LX 5-speed
                  ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

I've had an issue with those also and been waiting a month for someone to send a manifold that has those and other parts. I believe most ways of patching will not stick or will not hold due to thermal expansion and contraction, depending on the position and shape of the break. The best type of repair might be one that will soften the plastic the way plexiglass is cemented. I have wondered if dabbing on either acetone or lacquer thinner might allow a glue hold, but it's a one shot try. There is a lot that could be said about those valves and I've looked into some possibilities for replacing them but that is not concluded at this time, so a long post about it will not give the definitive repair. I never got any response to hunting them on this site and the JY is obviously iffy but you can always use the fix Bravekovak promotes.
                    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

I should mention, don't think those valves will necessarily unscrew easily because they are brass. I had one collapse the brass where the plastic meets it, and the other base twisted off leaving the threads in the manifold. Heavy force on an easy out would not remove it. I found that moderately heating the manifold around the bungs to expand the threads also melted some kind of sealer and then the piece came out very easily. This was with the manifold off the car where I could direct the heat away from the plastic.
                      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

It's kinda weird. I have had a lot of housings off and back on and never broken one, and can't see what the problem is that causes everyone else to break them either.

To balance that out, I always find Festivas that are ready to die.

I'd try something other than JB. Either JB quik or Quick Steel is much less annoying to work with than normal JB. And lay some metal screen in it to help it. Almost like rebar in concrete.

Somebody could probably fab a steel housing, and it would probably be even better than the original even before you break it. Hmm. Got me thinking now.
                        Last edited by sketchman; 04-12-2015, 03:41 PM.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

The Aspire thermo housing is different. Different angle, and no temp sensor for cooling fan. But you could probably use one if that was all there was around, or maybe one from a Capri or 323 even. Might have to use a different upper hose too.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 04-12-2015, 07:34 PM.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Sorry, thought I remembered it as the same.
                            I will go back in my closet now.
                            White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                            White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                            1988 LX 5-speed
                            ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Thanks guys thankfully my 88 parts had one. Cleaned the mess out of it inside and out. New gasket no more leaks yay...

Comment

Working...
                              X