Stripped strut mount d-hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped strut mount d-hole

I stripped the D-hole on the upper strut mount. Now the strut nut just spins with the strut rod. Is there a way to grip the strut rod so I can turn the bolt? I tried wrapping rubber around it and grabbing it with vice grips to no avail. As a last resort I can just cut the rod but I'd like to salvage the strut.

I have a set of fiber pliers that I use. I think they were called robo grip or something like that. They don't scar the shaft like regular pliers.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Vice grips and a piece of old tire/rubber/something is what I've always used.

Also helps to have an impact. Even a Harbor Freight electric (the big AC ones) are better than hand tools. I have one. It was worth the ~$50 shipped.

Also have you thought about using an angle grinder and cutting wheel to just split the strut mount in 2 at the rod hole?
      Last edited by sketchman; 04-15-2015, 07:36 AM.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have an impact, so I must of accidentally slammed the nut on at around 60-70ft lbs. I have also thought about the angle grinder approach but I was just unsure how I should go about it. I may have to just get a better grip

Comment

Working...
        X