Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part?

Anyone know what this part is called?

I have a 1988 Festiva LX, Carbed, 5 speed.

I'm having some issues with acceleration, and the car is down on power. I can only get it up to 40mph :/

I'm doing some maintenance, replacing valve cover (leak), spark plugs, and wires for now.

Just wondering what this is, and what it does.

IMG_1088.jpgIMG_1089.jpgIMG_1090.jpg
    1988 Festiva LX
    5 Speed
    Carbed

Slightly off topic, where in New Mexico are you?

Edit:

The paper behind your hand in the first photo suggests air force. Albuquerque?
    Last edited by Chobobulous; 04-16-2015, 07:37 PM.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

welcomsign jhockey

That part looks like a check valve. I replaced my stock, computer controlled feedback carb with a carb that doesn't require a computer and threw out the ECU along with all of the spaghetti vaccuum hosing. My engine runs great now.

Comment

Connects hoses to the charcoal cannister near the driver's side strut tower. Three bladed logo means it's made by Mitsubishi. Coloured dots match colour on vaccum hoses to make it easer to tell which hoses go where. Charcoal cannister traps gasoline fumes so they don't get ino the atmoshpere. Engine sucks fumes out of cannister on startup and burns them. Part of emissions control system.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
          Slightly off topic, where in New Mexico are you?

Edit:

The paper behind your hand in the first photo suggests air force. Albuquerque?
          yeah air force, but stationed at Cannon AFB, in clovis NM
          1988 Festiva LX
          5 Speed
          Carbed

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
            welcomsign jhockey

That part looks like a check valve. I replaced my stock, computer controlled feedback carb with a carb that doesn't require a computer and threw out the ECU along with all of the spaghetti vaccuum hosing. My engine runs great now.
            Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            Connects hoses to the charcoal cannister near the driver's side strut tower. Three bladed logo means it's made by Mitsubishi. Coloured dots match colour on vaccum hoses to make it easer to tell which hoses go where. Charcoal cannister traps gasoline fumes so they don't get ino the atmoshpere. Engine sucks fumes out of cannister on startup and burns them. Part of emissions control system.
            Originally posted by jhockey18aa View Post
            yeah air force, but stationed at Cannon AFB, in clovis NM
            thanks for the help guys!
            1988 Festiva LX
            5 Speed
            Carbed

Comment

Here is the tag for your car if you do not have it. You might make sure the second barrel of the carb is still opening. Make sure the distributor is advancing, all of it. Make sure your exhaust is not restricted. If the disty timing is way off check the timing belt. You have something big going on to only get 50mph.

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Cool! When you get it all fixed up we should have a mini meet in Ruidoso or something. I live in las cruces.
                91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I also took most of the vacuum hoses and such parts off my 88 carbed festiva, with stock carb- and plugged the carb inlets- and it ran GREAT, and cleaned up the look of the firewall and the engine compartment. Definitely looks like one of those parts you can probably get by without, if you don't need them for some stupid smog test. They'd make very little difference there either way.
                  Last edited by harpon; 04-17-2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X