No announcement yet.

Cant get the manual transmission to line back up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull the tranny to change the clutch. And to do this you pull the axles first. But dont pull the engine to change the clutch... If you left the axles in I would pull them out now after I drained the fluid. Then re-install the axles once I installed the tranny. But to remove the engine to change the clutch is way to much needless work.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

There's a 1000 ways to skin a cat.

To pull the trans you have fluid axles and suspension to deal with.

Pull the motor it's just bolts and connections.
      I usually just pull the part I need to fix. Clutch is in the trans so I pull the trans. Front wheels and axles come out. That's usually for a 1.3. Obviously the bp I pull the whole deal engine/trans cause I'm not fussing with it in the bay.
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

These CV axles are a very unfunny joke. We must have spent the good part of 2 hours trying to
        get the passenger side one off. Researching and trying different methods. We tried prying, tying
        a rope around it and pulling, eventually I even rented a slide hammer with a CV axle attachment.
        I cant freakin get that thing off for anything. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
        I've seen that some people eventually give up and get a used trans. This is not an option.

This is an incredibly poor design. A roll pin through the body is plenty sufficient to hold the axle.
        To me it's the equivalent of making the oil filter, a part which they know will have to be changed, in
        a position where you have to pull the entire dash. Then when you finally get there you find the oil filter
        has been welded in place.
        1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

The axles come out easily,but you just have to have it paralell to the diff. The put two chisels opposite of each other in between the axle and tranny. Just have a little pressure on each chisle so they are pushing the axle outward EVENLY. Then hit one chisel like a pry bar (not like you would chisel) and the axle pops out. They arent a bad design btw,its easy to blame the engineers when frustrated. If the axle doesnt come out the first try remove the tools,push the axle all the way back in turn it around a couple times to free up the clip. Start over again... No BS you can remove both axles in less than 60 seconds this way(laying on your back).
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I'll try as you suggest, but I still think the design could have been a lot easier. I've mainly
            dealt with Subaru's and their roll pins can be a pain, but at least you get to see what you're
            trying to get out. I don't remember my Ford Contour's CV axles being that difficult either. Making
            something you cant see to get at seems like a poor idea to me. After reading over the threads
            and seeing people replace their transmissions due to not being able to remove their CV axles I
            think it could have been designed to be easier on the mechanic/owner. Alas, though. Different
            strokes for different folks.At least I'm not the only one frustrated trying to get these out haha
            I'd feel pretty dumb if it was just me. Hopefully I can get it out that way. I have two that need
            to be done on my Festiva at some point.
            Last edited by SWRT; 04-21-2015, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Check your PM's
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Turns out it was the plate/cover on the engine side that kept hitting against
                the CV axle. Bent it slightly and now it works fine. Sorry, inside of trans...you
                may get a bit more dusty. I'll just throw some freakin gorilla tape on there or
                something.

Comment

By the way, thanks again shadetree. It was hard to get to the point where we
                  could visually see it without having the engine on the floor, but you were 100% right.

Comment

Originally posted by SWRT View Post
                    Turns out it was the plate/cover on the engine side that kept hitting against
                    the CV axle. Bent it slightly and now it works fine. Sorry, inside of trans...you
                    may get a bit more dusty. I'll just throw some freakin gorilla tape on there or
                    something.
                    I seem to remember someone mentioning this a few days ago ;-)

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                    If you left the axles in the trans then the dust shield is catching on the passenger side axle cup . It's going to be almost Impossible unless you trim the shield .
                    and...

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                    CVs will have to be removed, or the plate between the engine and transmission notched. I say pull the axles. If you are very very worried about pinching pennies on this and can't afford $10 for some new trans fluid, use a catch pan and recover what is already in the trans and reuse. But fighting the axles is definitely not helping any, and probably the cause for a lot of your grief.
                    Last edited by htchbck; 05-08-2015, 10:40 AM.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                    X