No announcement yet.

Used car woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill check that! Hopefully its still a relay and not some gutted mess of frankenstien wiring. I was leaning toward the Injectors not working, but was trying to diagnose on my own. Hard to listen to injectors and turn the key at the same time. Yall woulda laughed at my method of testing for spark. Good thing ive got long arms, and can hold the plug wire and turn the key over. Grab plug wire, turn key, yelp like a dog that got its tail stepped on, repeat. Lol ok I didnt really yelp, but it was funny.

Comment

checked the main "fuse" which really wasnt a fuse anymore at all. Previous owner jerry rigged it and jumped it with a wire instead of replacing it with a proper link. The wire was a lil charred and melted, so for diagnostic purposes, i did the same thing, just jumpered it with a bit of wire to see if I got anything, but I didnt. Still just turns over but wont fire up. Wondering if theres a test I can do to test for juice going to the injectors, anyone familiar with one?

Comment

The main fuse and main relay are different. The mane relay in bolted to the over flow tank. If the main fuse was no good you wouldn't get a crank.
        That's the main relay .

Comment

The PO didn't jury rig it.....that's how festy's are....most update to actual fuses instead of the fusible links.

Comment

Oh, the PO def jury rigged the fusible link, he cut the ends off the old fusible link and wrapped some speaker wire around the contacts and slid it back in place lol. And thanks for the clarification about the main relay william. I found it yesterday when I pulled the battery out to take it in to get charged. Ill check that next. Hopefully that gets things back up and runnin. I def need this thing back on the road, driving my cherokee 80 miles a day is eating away at my wallet.

Comment

Thought I'd do any update: Engine needs head job redone. Prior owner had a buddy do a head job on it, had the heads shaved, and put a new head gasket on. And that was it. reused gaskets, didnt really take their time to do the job right, and Im fairly confident he reused the head bolts, which im sure have stretched and are no longer holding proper pressure on the cylinder head, causing the gasket to blow out and not hold pressure. Compression test shows 90lb, 25lb, 50lbs, 50lbs. So def way too low, except on the one cylinder, which is a lil low in its own right. So what I will most likely do, as I want this car to still have good gas mileage and it only has 150k on the motor, its worth it to do a re-ring kit, get fresh rings, bearings, and gaskets in the motor. I found a re-ring kit online that has all that for about $150, so Im considering going that route, unless someone has a better recommandation!

Comment

The head bolts are not torque to yield and can be reused.

Comment

Working...
                X