Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I did my first ever engine tear down and put back together...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I did my first ever engine tear down and put back together...

...pretty sad that I'm learning to do this stuff at 53.
    For me the hardest part about the entire thing was the stupid oil pan. First it took me forever to get the darn thing popped off then the new gasket just would not stay put when trying to put the pan back. I ended up putting the old gasket back in because it layed in the pan nice and stayed put. I'm real surprised its not leaking (yet).
    Anyway, the entire purpose of the tear down was to change the piston rings (because of my low compression) and hopefully bring my poor engine back to life. Never know what ya have til ya tear the thing apart though. The tear down went real smooth thanks to Dale Wilson's post on the step to step way to do this, which I used.
    When I finally got the pistons out and could see all of the cylinder walls I knew my engine is toast. The cylinders all have score marks in them some pretty deep, the pistons are pretty chewed up at the tops of them as you can see in the one photo. I checked the ring gap after honing the cylinders and it was .020, its supposed to be .006-.012. Nice. A couple of my top rod bearings were scored.
    I just decided to put new rings in and slap everything back together and drive it tell she dies. Its my daily driver so I needed it back up and running.
    I made a video of my tear down so I had a reference of where all the wires and everything went back. It helped. If any first timers are going to try this I could send you the video to help out if ya want.
    Attached Files

You're never too old to learn something new. Nice job on the teardown, hope she keeps going a while longer on those new rings!
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
      You're never too old to learn something new.
      I agree. You are never to old to learn something new.
      The hard part is remembering it. :highly_amused:
      Last edited by rmoltis; 04-30-2015, 09:57 PM.
      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

remembering what?
        Congrats on ... er.... the time and effort in rebuilding something that should last a while
        Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
        Icetiva-3-race-car-build
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Nice work Jimdigs!
          in my experience you will get at least another 50K out of her
          No car too fast !

Comment

If you have the engine out, get an engine stand. It's easy to rotate it upside down to put on the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
              remembering what?
              Remembering what he learned...
              It was a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                Remembering what he learned...
                It was a joke.
                hey , so was what I wrote, sorry it did not come across that way!
                Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Lol sorry.

It was late last night when I checked in.
                  Brain was only half on.

Comment

Is there a link for the engine teardown guide you mention, Jimdigs? I'm having a hard time finding it? I'm hoping to do a rebuild soon. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by G-man422 View Post
                      Is there a link for the engine teardown guide you mention, Jimdigs? I'm having a hard time finding it? I'm hoping to do a rebuild soon. Thanks!
                      Here ya go. Its at the end of the thread... http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=dalebwilson

Comment

Thank you Jimdigs!

ty1

Comment

Just a little update. I have driven over 500 miles now on my re ringed poor engine. Did a compression test and found pretty good results, better than they were anyway... 175, 150, 145, 150. Plus my oil isn't being burnt up anymore and its staying a lot cleaner. My last mpg was 39.7 which is kinda weird, I thought it would be better than that with the improved compression. I'm happy overall though as I think this engine will last me longer even with the scored up and worn cylinders.

Comment

Sounds like you need a o2 sensor. Unless you have a lead foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
                              Sounds like you need a o2 sensor. Unless you have a lead foot.
                              I do have a "newer" O2 sensor. I can't figure out why I'm not getting better gas mileage either. I keep it under 65 most of the time. Most of my driving is highway. Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X