1988 festiva with presubably a aspire engine will not crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 festiva with presubably a aspire engine will not crank

after all day pulling and replacing the engine (just bought w/40K miles) I noticed quite a few differences that make me believe w/ low miles to be an aspire engine. After reassembly turn key to tick tick tick tick and smoke from the starter. My brain kicks in and almost immediately think the flywheels are different on the engines as well as the starter...... Am I correct to presume I now need to A. Pull the engine back out and replace the flywheel or B. buy an aspire starter?

Originally posted by 350freak View Post
    after all day pulling and replacing the engine (just bought w/40K miles) I noticed quite a few differences that make me believe w/ low miles to be an aspire engine. After reassembly turn key to tick tick tick tick and smoke from the starter. My brain kicks in and almost immediately think the flywheels are different on the engines as well as the starter...... Am I correct to presume I now need to A. Pull the engine back out and replace the flywheel or B. buy an aspire starter?
    I doubt it. Smoke from the starter? Is it wired properly?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

yes its wired exactly the way it was before the swap I believe the problem is the festiva starter gear is binding up with the aspire flywheel. The flywheels have 2 different part numbers the starters have two different part numbers so I am thinking their not interchangeable just trying to get confirmation if an aspire starter will fix my problem

Comment

Did the engine spin before installing ?
        New build on the way .

Comment

yes I was driving the car til the engine went out. got another engine that was (from a good guy a good engine) Im pretty sure the festiva B3s did not have the funny steel piece on the timing belt side of the crank shaft. this one does, so i'm thinking its an aspire engine. just trying to see if I can do an aspire starter to fix the issue or do I have to pull the engine again and replace the flywheel..... All this is dependent on if for a fact the flywheels have a different tooth count.

Comment

Did a qwik search at Rock Auto to compare. 88 Festy and 95 Aspire use the same flywheel. This is a simple method to check parts compatibility.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

ok then well im missing something then. I don't know why shes not turning over. It ran great before. and the swap went wonderful. that's the only thing I could think of is the starter was binding on the teeth of the flywheel

Comment

We are talking about a five speed correct ?
                New build on the way .

Comment

ok so I checked too and the flywheel and starter are the same PNs which is strange cause I looked at other sites and it showed different PNs. So I'm not sure what I've missed. could the engine be locked up and preventing the starter from turning it. the oil looked great and full. not sure how long it has been sitting though. I guess after church tom. I'll go out and just try to turn over the engine.

Comment

no I linked it with my 4

Comment

Woke up about 1/2 hour ago thinking I didn't check auto flywheels, only manual. Turns out tho that all flywheels for auto and manual Festys and Aspires, 1988-97 and all transmissions, are the same; so that's not the issue.

All manuals have the same starter motor; all autos do too, but different from the manuals.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 05-03-2015, 04:51 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

ok that's good. cause I used the known working starter that came off my old engine

Comment

Assume you checked the new engine not siezed by removing spark plugs and using wrench on crank shaft bolt to rotate crakshaft?
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

ok so it was a ground. but now I gotta replace the water pump. do I have to use a gasket or can I just use rtv or make one with gasket material.

Comment

Originally posted by 350freak View Post
                              ok so it was a ground. but now I gotta replace the water pump. do I have to use a gasket or can I just use rtv or make one with gasket material.
                              I'd use the appropriate pre-made gasket, along with the specific tube of water pump-thermostat housing sealant. It's all cheap, so no need to cut corners.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X