front strut diagram/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front strut diagram/help

we had the front struts on my dads 93 Festiva replaced and ever since it steers hard...like the struts are bound.
    Is there a collar of sorts that goes in the strut mount?

here's what we have....pic from online I found resembles or new parts.

strut mount festiva.jpg

There is a plastic thrust bearing that goes between the top shock hat and the piece in the picture you have. I can't remember what it looks like, it may be the two rings shown in the picture.
    The installer might have forgotten it, or he might have just overtightened the nut that holds the assembly together on the top of the shock, so that the bearing is too compressed, or even cracked.
    Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
    Icetiva-3-race-car-build
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Thank you! We did finally find a diagram & it shows the part you must be talking about.Now we need to find a place to buy that part.

Comment

When I replaced my strut mounts with kyb.
        They came with new bearings as well as top and bottom plastic pieces.
        Last edited by rmoltis; 05-06-2015, 08:58 AM.
        Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Some people go to the junk yard and get a pair of struts off an early 2000's Kia Rio and use those tops because they have bearings instead of the nylon bushings. They say it makes steering easier. They've mentioned in order to use the Rio tops on Festiva shocks a large washer has to be added. A search of this forum should bring up more information in case you'd like to try it.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
          X