Help 93 festiva no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help 93 festiva no start

Ok so the other day i was driving and my 93 festiva (1.3 5 speed stock) died on me, i was pulling away from a stoplight and it hesitated and then sputtered really bad when i shifted into second and third with hardly any power. I shifted down into second and it died on me when i pushed in the clutch and then compression started when i popped the clutch but tried to die. There was a strong smell of gas when this happened.

I had it towed home and figured it was a no spark issue because i smelled gas and it turned over freely. Sure enough it was a no spark condition i went and picked up a used coil from the wrecking yard and it was still a no spark. I then replaced my icm and that was tested as bad as well as when i replaced it i have spark now. Still no start and the spark is orange with either coil i have.

What i have done and eliminated.
    new icm
    switched coil wires
    tried two used old coils, i am getting a new one tonight.
    pulled the fuel line at the rail and checked for flow which it tested fine.
    checked my air intake and vaf door. both fine no water or obstructions.
    checked my fusible link, getting new replacement pink and green? links that where recommended tonight. I have 12 volts to both sides of the link with the key on.
    checked timing belt and it is fine with no breaks and is tight.
    checked position of the rotor and is correct.
    new cap and rotor.
    new plugs and wires.
    pulled the plugs and checked to make sure they weren't soaked in gas which they weren't.

Any ideas? im getting a weak orange spark which to me says the coil and like i said im getting a new one tonight. the other thing im getting is a gas smell every time i try to start it. There are no leaks that i can see but im guessing it was from the motor since it wasnt firing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

I'm thinking coil as well. Let us know when you get the new one.

Comment

ok, the coil was not the fix, i replaced the fusible link with a new 30 am pink one and still nothing. I pulled the timing cover and checked the timing, its at tdc and the rotor is pointed at the number one cylinder and the cam pulleys are lined up at 12 and 3. Question on the crank pulley, i have two small marks on it that line up with the plastic lower cover that has a point sticking out of the left side and then timing advance marker on the right of the cover. I should be lined up with the pointer on the left correct?

Comment

Everything im seeing online says my timing is right. Im at a loss as to what is wrong.
        its turning over with no issues, i smell fuel and he spark plug holes and spark plugs smell like fuel when i turn it over. new coil, new icm, still no start.

Any help would be great. im dead in the water at this point.

Comment

search for "no start" using double quotes.

Comment

Done, all stuff i have tried and didnt fix it. Testing my alternator tommorrow just for kicks. I would appreciate any ideas or help anyone can offer.

Comment

Have you tested your ignition wires to see if the resistance on all of them are in spec? Alterbator has nothing to do with a no start. Unplug it before cranking if you suspect something is fried to ground inside.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 05-08-2015, 05:33 AM.

Comment

I would try a different vaf. Heck I would try cleaning the vaf plug real well with a little emory cloth and then blow it out real well. And see if that changes anything. Trust me I've been on the side of the road with the same issue. And it's always been the vaf.

Comment

Ok, alternator tests good. Put it all back together and i checked the VAF plug, turns out it had a wire clipped and pulled out. I pulled out the clip and kind of boogered it up but straightened it out and soldered the wire to the clip and put it back in. It is now getting air which i am sure was the problem.
                  When i was pulling the alternator off i ground out the power and blew the main fusible link which i was replacing anyway with the new plastic ones recommended on here.
                  So now my car sounds like its trying to start but still no firing up.
                  I have fuel flow, spark and air still no start. Any ideas? Anything else that would go out with a power surge like that?
                  I also checked the power at the fuel pump which was 4.5 at key on and went to 10 volts with the car turning over.
                  Im going to check fuel pressure next i suppose. I want to redo the VAF plug as well to make sure the one i rewired is actually contacting the male end of the plug.
                  Does anyone know where to get the little metal female ends for the VAF plug?

Any hepl would be awesome as im down to maybe the surge took out my computer, i highly doubt it though.

Thanks for all your help so far you have been right on so far.

Matt
                  Last edited by greenmachine93; 05-09-2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=greenmachine93;690569Does anyone know where to get the little metal female ends for the VAF plug?[/QUOTE]

Can you please post a closeup picture of the terminal?

Comment

Problem solved, sorry it took so long. It was the rotor. It was grounding down through the rotor and causing a no start. At least i have a ton of extra parts now.

Comment

This ma sound unusual to some but dissable the fuel pump and try to start it.no start still try to start on starter fluid.This will eliminate your fuel,fuel pump,stuck injector as being the problem.
                        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                        X