Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Joint / Half-shaft Questions

Guys -

I hope I don't catch any grief for not being on here for months and then popping up and asking some questions, but my '88 Twistiva has developed some serious CV/half-shaft issues that can't be put off any longer.

- I plan on doing an Aspire front/rear brake swap in the next few months in order to mount larger and waaaaaay sexier 15" wheels I bought. Posts I read seem to indicate that both Festiva AND Aspire half-shafts work? In other words, if I buy Festy axles now, will I need to replace them when I do the Aspire swap?

- What brand(s) is/are the most recommended? RockAuto has the best price ("Suretrak") but I read one or two posts claiming EMPI ("Empire") was a better quality. True?

- The driver's side half-shaft clicks bad on hard right turns and even is starting to occasionally click even when NOT turning. Bummer. Is the consensus that I just go ahead and replace both L/R shafts now?

Thanks in advance!
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Keep the Festy shafts. Aspires are too long. Don't know about brands. Keep the Festy lower control arms too. You need the steering knuckles from the Aspire, the tie rod ends, and the brake hoses. Struts are up to you. You will want Aspire brake hoses on the back too, and of course the rear trailing arm. Fantastic upgrade! I love the way mine stops!
    Last edited by zoe60; 05-19-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
      Keep the Festy shafts. Aspires are too long. Don't know about brands. Keep the Festy lower control arms too. You need the steering knuckles from the Aspire, the tie rod ends, and the brake hoses. Struts are up to you. You will want Aspire brake hoses on the back too, and of course the rear trailing arm. Fantastic upgrade! I love the way mine stops!
      zoe60 -

Thx for the swap info. Most immediate issue is getting the half-shaft fixed right now.

Anyone have any intel on half-shaft brands? Would also consider using remanufactured axels, if recommended. Just want the best quality half-shafts I can buy to keep my Festy running for a very long time.

Comment

I had problems with new off the Internet. They shipped the one for automatic transmission, not manual. When I checked the website I found they had the same part number for both.
        I also had problems with locally rebuilt axles. They gave me something which didn't fit right. I think they substituted something off another car which had the same measurements. They replaced it and the second one is good. Cost was not much different from new off the Internet but turnaround on replacement was much faster.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
          I had problems with new off the Internet. They shipped the one for automatic transmission, not manual. When I checked the website I found they had the same part number for both.
          I also had problems with locally rebuilt axles. They gave me something which didn't fit right. I think they substituted something off another car which had the same measurements. They replaced it and the second one is good. Cost was not much different from new off the Internet but turnaround on replacement was much faster.
          Good to know about ensuring part #s for manual vs auto transmission. Thx! Have read that remanufactured half-shafts sometimes don't work/last long because they can be overmachined as they spiff them up to resell. Leaning towards new (EMPI) from RockAuto.

Anyone else care to chime in?
          Last edited by Twistiva; 05-20-2015, 09:18 AM.

Comment

The price is not much different between your local, chain auto-part store and online (including s&h). Plus, if you have any problems - the store is right there to help.

There is something out there about changing clips because replacements can sometimes get seized. I'm sure someone can chime in with more specific details.

Comment

Working...
            X