Driver wheel bearing broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver wheel bearing broke

so my driver side wheel bearing broke on the road the other day, and I just went to the JY today and got a rio one as a replacement. I tried to straighten out the wheels a bit too. I took it around the block and it seemed like it was getting stuck up somewhere. So I jacked it up and turned the wheel all the way to he left and it seemed to get stuck on something in natural. I couldn't tell it it was the gearbox or if it was something to do with the axle. The axle did get kinda ate up. Can anyone tell me if it more likely that the axle took a crap or the transmission crapped out?

I'm asking because I could go to the JY and get anothe festy axle or I could just justly up this weekend and try getting the G series in. guesses on the issue and what you guys think I should do would be appreciated.
    Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

One: a Rio hub is not at all going to help you fix a Festy problem! And Two: Festy/Aspire/Rio hubs are not 'easy-backyard-repairs' due to the idiotic pre-load bearing and specific spacer arrangement that is inside. If through some fluke you can remove the hub (good luck with loosening the axle nut for starters!) bring the hub, new inner, outer bearings, seal and a 6 pack of beer (reward) to your local garage and pray that they know what they're doing and have the proper press tools to re-new everything. A Kia dealership ought to be intimately familiar with this but many of the new auto techs are now same age as mostly defunct early Rios.
    And while you're at it get a new brake rotor because replacing those is a similar curse to toying with a Festy hub.

Comment

I got the new hub on, it seems fine, but this there were the other problems.
      Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by Fecomatter View Post
        I got the new hub on, it seems fine, but this there were the other problems.
        That's all! Could you even bolt the wheel and rim back on?

Comment

Yea, I may be using the wrong word but the new problem is this rhythmic catch somewhere
          Tommy

Comment

By strighten out the wheels do you mean turning the outer ties rod ends (the ball and socket joint in the rubber cup thingy) on the steering?
            People run a string from the back to front wheels to line them up, ie "toe in".
            By wheel bearing do you mean the hub and knuckle combination? The axle fits into the hub which fits into the knuckle.
            What Bert is referring to is the need to separate the hub from the knuclkle to get at the actual bearings inside.
            By putting the front end up on jack stands you can run the engine with the car in and out of gear and step out and
            listen for noises. Using a length of rubber hose as a stethescope helps pinpoint noises.
            Last edited by WmWatt; 05-22-2015, 07:33 AM.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yea I was referring to the hub/nuckle. It is in 2 pieces now. I got a replacement and the problem was that axle got ate up too. Go that replaced and it drove fine.
              Tommy

Comment

Awesome!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                X