Electrical Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Issues

I've been experiencing electrical issues with a couple things over the last week or so. First, my cluster and dash lights are no longer working, which makes it a pain to drive at night. Not sure what the issue is. I'm truly soaked behind the ears when it comes to electrical stuff.

My next issue just happened (or at least I noticed it) last night. I got out of my car to get my mail, and when I turned to go back to the car, I noticed my brake lights weren't working. They work when I hit the brakes but that's it. Are there any obvious things I should check first? I checked the fuse already and it's fine.

I'd love to get this fixed soon, (today preferably) because getting rear-ended is not high on my list of priorities. Oh and my car is a '90 L Plus Automatic, if that matters.

Thanks in advance, guys.
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Did you check the bulbs? The running light can burn out but the brake light will still work.
    - Form should follow function...

Comment

Do the front marker lights work?
      Of not check your relay on the drivers side behind the battery.
      I'm gunna put money on relay because if it goes you lose dash lights as well.
      If you suspect that it is the relay swap it with the headlight relay next to it to check it. Problem is with these relays they rust up and even if the electro magnet is working and clicking the relay over it may not be making good connection.
      Last edited by william; 05-21-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

The front marker lights don't work either. I'm going to the junkyard later so I'll look for a relay when I go. I'm at work now but I'll try switching the relays later on. Thanks guys, I sure hope that its the relay. I love easy fixes.
        1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
        2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

Comment

I had the same issue with my lights but yet the headlights worked. It was the relay located below the air cleaner box on a 93.

Comment

^now that you say the it maybe on the passenger side it's been a while.
            And twfodor you can get a relay at autozone under 20. I had to take my old one in for them to match it up because the computer wouldn't pull up anything.

Comment

It was on the passenger side of the engine bay, apparently one of the wires going to the relay corroded out of the connector, so I went to the junkyard, bought a new connector and spliced it together. Everything works now except the front parking lights, I believe its just the bulbs though. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
              X