Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap

I picked up a totally rust free carbie 89 Festiva (manufacture date 2/88) without an engine. I also purchased a carbie 88 Festiva (manufacture date of 2/17/87) that had been involved in a front end collision with the intent of pulling the engine/transmission and putting it into the 89. Both cars have a 4 speed transmission. It appears as though it will be a direct plug and play swap, is this correct? Or will I have to change the computer or other components? Thanks.

Should be simple plug and play ! Good luck
    New build on the way .

Comment

So when I got home from work tonight I pulled the engine out of the 88. I noticed one difference in the wiring harness....the 89 that the engine is going into has plug hanging from the firewall above the a/c holes that has some type of factory rubber boot covering the end of the plug. The engine that I pulled from the 88 has something on the intake that was plugged into that same plug on the 88. No boot covering the end of the plug, it is being used. What is this? Should I remove the boot from the 89 and plug it in or should I just leave it unplugged? Thanks.

Comment

don't know if this will help. 1st 2 pics are 88 engine component locations. last 2 are 89.

Comment

I believe you're talking about the plug for the EGR Valve Position Sensor used on the California cars - a round black plug showing one black and one or two light green wires (boot looks like a baby bottle nipple). In the top picture F3BZ posted it's labeled EGRP Sensor but that's actually the plug on the harness leading to the sensor. If your 88 has it plugged into the EGR Valve then it's a CA setup. It shows a little better in the 3rd pic. depicted as tied off to the harness. That's the way my 89 is. Federal models have no sensor on the EGR Valve.
          When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am going to leave it unplugged for now.

Comment

Hey, you may have the oldest festiva ever!!! Bolokid you better restore that one !
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I won earliest build date (10/87) last year at madness and you've got me beat by 8 months...wow!
                93 GL

Comment

Originally posted by sactnato View Post
                  I won earliest build date (10/87) last year at madness and you've got me beat by 8 months...wow!
                  Bolokid's build date is 4 months after yours... 2/88
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                  X