dazed and confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dazed and confused

so i blew a fuse and couldn't shift. Thanks to all of your guys help that is fix. after i replaced the fuse the brakes quit. any ideas on why? it has a full tank of brake fluid...:confused5:

any chance the car hasn't been driven in a while, and the brake master is old?
    any chance it is cold out and the brake master is old?
    any chance you have pissed off the Car Gods and the brake master is old?
    No car too fast !

Comment

i take it i only have to replace the brake master?

Comment

If its old.
        If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

How do you know "the brakes quit"? Can you describe any symptoms? Okay, "the car won't stop", but anything else about how it feels when it won't stop?
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Kind of helpless ? Wondering why life is always a steep uphill until now? Looking at the Log Truck in front of you and making promises you know you can't keep if the brakes lights just don't light up. When it looks like there is no where left to steer you wish you had waterproof seats for a very good reason...
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yeah, does the pedal go to the floor? If so as stated earlier, the master cylinder could be old lol. Could also be a leaking wheel cylinder or caliper, brake hose, or brake line. Just gotta commence to getting your hands dirty and figuring it out! Look for leaked out brake fluid.

Comment

i didnt see any leaks the brake petal goes right to the floor. before i blew the room fuse the brakes worked fine so thats why im confused. i put it in gear and it wouldnt stop until i put it in netural and slowed down to a stop.

Comment

Full brake reservoir, and pedal to floor. To me that says master cylinder
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

i will order a master friday and have someone show me how to change them cause i have absolutly no clue on how to change the thank you guys i will keep you all posted ty1

Comment

A search of this site or a search of the Internet or a Haynes manual would show how to replace the master cylinder. If you are careful and don't introduce any air into the lines you might be able to get away without bleeding the system afterwards. If the brakes need to be bled rusted bleeder nipples on old cars can break off (pardon the pun) and create quite a problem. Treat with penetrating oil and be very gentle with them.
                      Last edited by WmWatt; 06-01-2015, 09:54 AM.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

You will need brake line wrenches. They are c shaped wrenches. Brake line nuts are easy to round off. Don't use regular wrenches.

And you will need to bleed the brakes.

This is a good time to check and refresh the brake system. Do a search and read what others have done.

If there is an Aspire swap in this cars future, think about putting on a Aspire MC.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

David

Comment

Aspire swap? i have no clue what you mean. i have to wait till tomorrow for the master cylinder. and i know i will have to bleed the brakes and thats ok, my uncle said he would gladly help me with that.

Comment

A lot of us like to swap the entire braking system over from the aspire. Its all better stuff. Look it up.
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost
                            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

They usually come with instructions on how to bench bleed the master. Find a you tube vid on any master replacement, the all go about the same. You are probably going to get air in the lines, unless you are real careful taking them off the old master and put them right on the new one, and may have to bleed the lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X