No announcement yet.

I've Got The Shakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tips. I'll check all my links after putting the new inner tie rods in.
    -Coop

Comment

This is a good thread. I approve.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

A little update today after reading the responses. I jacked up the 93GL, got both front wheels off the ground and locked the steering wheel. Checked the passenger tire for movement at 3,6,9,12 o'clock. None. Checked the drivers tire and there is a 1/4" movement from the inner tie rod or rack. As I rock the tire from 9 to 3, the locked steering wheel moves back and forth about an inch. Am I looking at a bad inner tie rod or worn rack? I also checked the 4 rack to body bolts and they are tight.
        Last edited by dalebwilson; 06-18-2015, 03:26 AM.
        "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
        “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Originally posted by dalebwilson View Post
          A little update today after reading the responses. I jacked up the 93GL, got both front wheels off the ground and locked the steering wheel. Checked the passenger tire for movement at 3,6,9,12 o'clock. None. Checked the drivers tire and there is a 1/4" movement from the inner tie rod or rack. As I rock the tire from 9 to 3, the locked steering wheel moves back and forth about an inch. Am I looking at a bad inner tie rod or worn rack? I also checked the 4 rack to body bolts and they are tight.
          Sounds like an inner tie rod end just like mine... that wouldn't account for shaking though... just sloppy-ish steering. I'm buying a set of inners from Rock Auto. They have cheap ones for ~$8 per tie rod, or the expensive Moog ones for about $22 per. I elected for the Moog, just because...
          -Coop

Comment

Dale I have a 92 GL. I do have 15" tires on mine, but it was shaking bad starting at about 50 mph until I put on new tires and it drives great now. The tires I had were balanced, but something still had to be wrong with at least one or two of them. That may not be your problem, but it sure solved mine.

Comment

Dale, have you checked your wheels for runout? I hit a pot hole the other day and bent one of my after market wheels.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Jerry, I have tried 3 different sets of wheel/tire combinations, all with no measurable run out on the wheels. They all vibrate in a similar manner. I have ordered a rack from Detroit axle and will update this thread when installed.

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
                Dale, have you checked your wheels for runout? I hit a pot hole the other day and bent one of my after market wheels.

Comment

I've had shakes at 63MPH+ since I got the green one. Part of it ended up being a broken cotter pin on the rear-left spindle. It wasn't broken enough for the wheel to fall off, but the nut did back off a few threads.

Today getting the first new tie-rods and balljoints this car's ever had put on. Hopefully that'll fix the rest of the shaking.

Joe
                  White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                  White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                  1988 LX 5-speed
                  ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

If you do not have a steering wheel lock tool that goes between the seat and the steering wheel you can use the seat belts. If the steering wheel moves while checking play you are muscling the test too much. If you can see the free play though you got it !
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks Movin. I can definitely see 1/4" or more of free play. I will be replacing the rack and inner tie rods within the next week or so. I will update.

Comment

Update: This past weekend I replaced the manual steering rack with a brand new Aspire unit from Detroit Axle. I also installed new Festiva inner tie rods. I estimate a 25% improvement but still have a very noticeable shake at 55mph+. Apart from the struts, every steering and suspension component have now been replaced.

Comment

How to balance a tier using the snapon tire wheel balancer. we will show you how to use this snap on balancer for any tire or wheel.

Watch the video, this is not me but it is the same machine I have. Note that the guy shows you the "fine" button but does not use it. The fine button moves the decimal over one spot.

To use the fine button you have to have the tool that cuts wheel weights. You have to cut wheel weights because weights do not come that fine. Even the stick on ones have to be cut.

Only machines without electric motors can be accurate like this machine is, at least as far as I know. Small light cars like the front of a VW beetle air cooled , our cars and a few british and italian cars are why the "fine" button is on the machine and why wheel weight cutters are made.

Here is the pliers I have.

Last edited by Movin; 08-04-2015, 01:39 PM.
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thank you for the video. Wonder how I can find someone that has such a machine?

Comment

Working...
                            X