Unusual problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual problem

A couple of weeks ago, my 1993 ATX festiva starting losing power (as if not enough fuel) and started to overheat. The shop "repaired" it by replacing the fuel pump which appears to have lasted about 50 miles. It now does the same thing only this last time it started billowing white smoke from the tail pipe. In addition, the mechanic had also made a repair to the valve cover gasket which also blew out. Any ideas?

I am afraid that this last time it got hot (although never overheated) and damaged the rings or something.

Blown head gasket. Sounds like shop incompetence.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I don't have an exact definition for shop incompetence, but getting towed twice for the same repair and still being out of service seems to fit well. I will check out the head gasket. Any good way for me to check? I may try this one myself. Saving time by using the shop seems to be costing me more time.

Comment

Compression tester
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Comment

A compression guage costs less than a tow to the garage, and will last for years, unlike the tow.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Start it cold with the radiator cap off, do bubbles come out of the radiator ? Check the dip stick and the oil fill cap, is there milky looking oil anywhere ? When you start the engine cold did it miss a little bit, then clear up ? Smell the exhaust , does it smell like antifreeze ?

A compression gauge could give you the same results with a different problem and as such would be misleading.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
              X