ignition delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition delay

I have a recent problem with my 88 festiva. I'll turn the key and nothing happens for about a minute and then it'll turn over. I've also noticed that if I turn the key back a little it'll turn over at least attempt to turn over. At first, I thought the starter was going bad, but I kept having the same problem after I replaced it. I'm thinking it might be the ignition switch itself. Anyone else have a similar problem?

when my ignition switch went out everything worked except the starter i just ran a push button to it for a while if it is actually your ignition switch i have an one for sale
    88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
    89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
    93 gl FI (sold) automagical
    89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
    88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

try spraying WD-40 or contact cleaner into the keyhole and work it around with the key. (WD-40 gets rid of moisture and cleans.)
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Also check your fusible links (3) on the left strut tower behind the battery. Mine sometimes had a delay in cranking when turning the the key to start. There was a badly corroded connection on one and it was arcing inside. Cleaning it fixed the problem.
          '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
          '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
          '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
          '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
          '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
          '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
          '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...
          X