Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Diagnostic" Repair Manual?

Guys -

Fighting a no start problem with my 93L. Ended up taking it to a self-employed mechanic. As far as I know, Festiva repair manuals are limited to the following:

1 - Service ('Shop') Manual
    2 - Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual
    3 - Electrical Wiring Diagram
    4 - Haynes Repair Manual

I brought him #s 1, 2 and 3.

He is a very experienced, very honest mechanic; a Vietnam vet who worked for decades for dealerships & the kind of guy that will investigate problems but not charge you if he can't find what's wrong. I know this because that's what he did on my 93L.

He told me the repair manuals I brought were no real help and that he thought there was a "diagnostics" manual for Festivas. I told him the Shop Manual was a "diagnostic" manual and he said "No, not really" and that there should be a diagnostics manual out there. What about #2/Electrical manual?

Is he right? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Non-North American section of ford emissions and power train diagnosis manual. Black cover.

Comment

Haynes has a troubleshooting section. It lists symptoms and possible causes. I think what your mechanic may looking for is a checklist or flowchart type of guide.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Most of us use paid subscriptions to an online source like Alldata. The festiva is covered there. There is no way the average shop could keep manuals on hand for everything we work on, the library would be bigger than the shop.

Another problem is the errors in new manuals. Corrected data is easy with the online source. Paper was a nightmare .
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
        X