Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering noises

Hello all,

Just started getting some unusual noises while steering. I get three or four minor "clunks" for each turn of the steering wheel. It seems to be coming from down low and not from either of the struts. I can't feel anything strange in the steering wheel itself when it clunks. Everything in the front end, except tie rod ends, has been replaced recently and it's been properly aligned.

I'm guessing it might have something to do with the steering rack or the u-joints in the steering shaft.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

prolly the tie rod ends, if they are old,beat, and dry they will stick and then clunk some times when turning.
    Ian Carr
    88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
    99' S70 T5M- faster DD
    86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

Comment

Mystery solved......

It turns out that the strut mount/bearing on the drivers' side is binding a bitand upon further examination it looks like the whole thing has started to gve. I've ordered a new one and hope to get it put on this weekend before the thing lets go and punches a nice hole in the hood :shock:
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
      X