A/C not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C not working

Hello, I am new to this site but have had my Festiva for about 5 years and the A/C never worked. I was wondering if it's something I could do myself or if it's something even worth trying to fix. Any advice and tips are welcome. I know pretty much nothing about my car. It's an '89 Ford Festiva model L.

Thanks for all the help, Mason

This is the place to learn!

If it hasn't worked in the five years you've had it, it probably hasn't worked in at least ten. The seals dry out if the system isn't used very often and leak refrigerant into the atmosphere, then the atmosphere gets in and screws up the receiver/dryer. This usually requires replacing the dryer and all seals before evacuating the system with a vacuum pump to test the seals and remove old stuff, then refilling with refrigerant.

R-12 was used originally, but something like 1.3x as much R-143a goes back in. I would save up for a minute and get a couple quotes from mom and pop shops.

All of this assumes the rest of the system works like compressor and auxiliary condenser fan. It could get expensive quick
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Chico is dry and hot year around, about the only plus for one down that long. If you quickly depress the schrader in the low side fitting does it have pressure in there?
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
      X